• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

One for the wise! (tft monitor pixel refresh)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ppe1700

Hi!
ok, ages ago, when i built my pc i decided i wanted to play some pc gaming to get a feel so i knocked out some unreal for a good few months.
i always found it hard to see, or if there was a lot going on, i found that the screen seemed blurry..
i thought it was cos i sucked and may be eyes wernt too good.
updating gpu drivers didnt really help much..

now, a few years on (still the same 2nd hand free tft screen i was given) i have hooked up my xbox to the tft for some HD gaming. and although its loads and loads (i mean loads) clearer (i can see mist and fog n things i didnt even know were there!) there is a problem. call of duty 4 is the game still, and im prepping for some cod5. if i move around quickly it actually looks like the screen blurs for a sec.
this tft is old, and i mean i wouldnt be surprised if it was 10 years old! its big n grey and needs to be given to someone less fortunate...
i explained to someone it seems like the pixels arnt reacting quick enough to whats being inputted. and they mentioned response times and i googled and looked about and found there could be two factors.

now im pretty sure that my tft was one of the cheap ones when it came out, and may be the response time is large. but what about input / output lag?

i am ok on saving for a bit and going and spending say £150 on a new 22" widescreen for gaming. but obviously i want a 2ms or so response time and low input lag.. but no manufacturer states input lag times..
and this is where OCForums comes in!

we have even hooked up the xbox a few months ago to a 32" HD TV, and we had the same problem there. i didnt know what was causing it, and i tried to adjust colour, contrast etc to help..

basically, there is no way im going to spend £500 plus on a 32" screen when i hardly ever watch tv at all, and i could spend all that and not get the sort of thing im after anyway.

what do you recommend for a good okish tft screen that has a quick / low response time from device to display output?

i seriously thought it was my eyesight at first, but now ive read up and know different i just feel stupid - im 23.
so thanks! :D:

five minutes worth of writing, to explain my frustration and experience and you sum it up in two words with a full stop:eek:

No problem. Samsung makes great quality stuff even the cheapest models are good , reason why i brought them up. ;)

No problem. Samsung makes great quality stuff even the cheapest models are good , reason why i brought them up. ;)

You own Samsung!! Wow man!

seriously though, thanks for your help here! :D

next is to figure out audio..

from the cable out of the xbox i have the vga (i may use the hdmi to dvi if the new monitor has dvi)
and i also have two rca male plugs.
my 5.1 system only has 3.5mm connectors to match up to my pc. but my pc has an input. i need a cable long enough (1.5m will do) to be rca female one end, but 3.5mm male the other end to go into the sound card.

the 5.1 is creative. but the connectors are all 3.5mm, and the input from the pc is, black, green and orange (might be pink)
so if i want surround, i will have to go through the sound card on the pc?

from the cable out of the xbox i have the vga (i may use the hdmi to dvi if the new monitor has dvi)
and i also have two rca male plugs.
my 5.1 system only has 3.5mm connectors to match up to my pc. but my pc has an input. i need a cable long enough (1.5m will do) to be rca female one end, but 3.5mm male the other end to go into the sound card.

the 5.1 is creative. but the connectors are all 3.5mm, and the input from the pc is, black, green and orange (might be pink)
so if i want surround, i will have to go through the sound card on the pc?
What are your speakers connected to.

Back