• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

strange memory issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rydis

My PC has 6 gig ram
However, every time I restart my PC, and you look at the resource monitor, it shows different total memory amount every time PC is restarted.

Sometimes it only shows 2 gigs, sometimes 4, sometimes 6.

Anyone else ever heard of this issue?

no, im trying to help a friend figure out what is his issue.

is running i7 920
6 gig ram
windows 7 64 bit

See if you can round up the system components he's using, would be a lot easier if we knew what he's working with.

its an i7 @ stock
amd 5850
alienware 0H869M
6 gig ram ddr3 1333mz.
windows 7 64bit.

not sure what else would be relevent. All drivers up to date.

Resource monitor shows four different values. Available, Cached, Total, Installed. Which one is fluctuating?

Yes, that is the mobo, and its whatever it was shipped with by alienware is how it was installed.

It is the Total that is fluctuating, which I never heard of before.

Ok, I'd try and reseat the memory and then run a memory tester for starters. He can get a copy of Memtest 86+ from here. If a stick or two of memory is failing it's possible that could be his problem. So have him run Memtest for a couple passes and see if it throws any errors.
http://www.memtest.org/

Does it show differing values in the BIOS when he restarts? If so, it is very likely improperly seated RAM or bad sticks, as Lv has pointed out.

If you are running it at 1600 or bclk is overclocked then bump QPI/VTT voltage +0.05V and check if it's acting the same ... missing DIMM on X58 was usually caused by too tight timings or too low voltage ( memory or memory controller ).

On 1333 it should run without issues when you are not overclocking anything.

Looking from CPU side memory should be in 2, 4 and 6 slots.

If you are running it at 1600 or bclk is overclocked then bump QPI/VTT voltage +0.05V and check if it's acting the same ... missing DIMM on X58 was usually caused by too tight timings or too low voltage ( memory or memory controller ).

On 1333 it should run without issues when you are not overclocking anything.

Looking from CPU side memory should be in 2, 4 and 6 slots.

its running at 1333, default timings/voltage. memtest turned up nothing.

Back