• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

random popping on logitech z-5500's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mofei1

i've had the z-5500 for 2 days and i noticed that the speakers would randomly make a popping noise. it happens at random intervals through both coxial and analogue connections. neone know whats causing it??

mofei1 said:
i've had the z-5500 for 2 days and i noticed that the speakers would randomly make a popping noise. it happens at random intervals through both coxial and analogue connections. neone know whats causing it??

maybe you need new cords??

wot do u mean by new cords?? coxial cable and analogue cords??

the coxial cable i brought brand new, and the analogue cable came with the speakers

My Audigy 1 has started to do this recently, I think it may not have much longer to live.

Or maybe not, wiggling the cables seems to fix it.

hmm i'm sure its the speakers, it neva happened when i had my z-640's

Turn on a song.

Go into your sound control (the little speaker thing in your system tray) and click the mute checkbox on each item until sound stops playing. Leave the ones unchecked that will stop the song output. Only ones I have are wave and master (duh). I would have horrible hissing and pops with mine, and it started out of the blue one day.

Hope that helps.

i guess its something to do with electrical interferance. it seems to happen when someone flicks a light switch.

I'm trying to find the article about it, but cant seem to find it. I think it was MaximumPC, or something like that, but their watchdog section had something about some of the 5500's being bad and causing popping noises and such. You may want to try and look into that. I wish I could find the article, sorry.

I did a search and was unable to locate the article that cornbread mentioned, but I DID find a bunch of other people mentioning the exact same issue. At a guess, I'd say that it's some sort of EMI/RFI that gets transmitted through the electrical outlet to the speakers. Probably there is a bad power supply section for them that's not filtering that out properly in the conversion from AC to DC power.

I did a search and was unable to locate the article that cornbread mentioned, but I DID find a bunch of other people mentioning the exact same issue. At a guess, I'd say that it's some sort of EMI/RFI that gets transmitted through the electrical outlet to the speakers. Probably there is a bad power supply section for them that's not filtering that out properly in the conversion from AC to DC power.

I found this in Amazon...

I know most of you that are reading this have probably heard nothing but praise for this nifty piece of hardware, I can assure that, that is true. however those reviewers may not understand electronics or sounds that well.

First off, if you order this (and you should!!) the box you get it in is absolutly gigantic! its so big that it did not fit through my front door, this is because of the subwoofer (subwoofer is bigger than my pc case! width and height! and i have a medium tower). Sound experience is nothing but out of this world! have it on half volume and you can hear it anywhere in the house, have in on full volume it can filter out nearly 100% of all sounds throughout your house as well as race your LCD monitor across the table! Definatly one worth owning for sound ethuastics or those who have money to burn.

HOWEVER- because the subwoofer is gigantic, it creates a deadly EM (electro-magnetic) field, meaning if you put your pc within 2 feet of the subwoofer or any piece of electronics no matter what it is you can cause some serious damage, especially if its prolonged contact. The field is so strong that it increases EMI coming from the power lines that can sometimes create random pops or puffs of sound to your speakers both soft and hard sounds.

The length of wire for each speaker is more than long enough to accomodate your room, but the master control unit to the subwoofer system has a limited cable.

Despite the amazing quality in sound and thx certified it is definatly worth owning if you can afford it. BUT if you buy this hardware YOU MUST purchase/own a surge protector that can protect the sound from increased EMI fields as well as have enough room so that the EM field within the woofer doesn't make contact with your pc equipment. If you don't you will experience mayhem poofs and puffs coming from your speakers and may risk damage to other components.

This is why i rated it 4 out 5 stars. Amazing but Dangerous!

This is the article that prompted me to post today:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=448002

chemicallymark said:
I found this in Amazon...

I know most of you that are reading this have probably heard nothing but praise for this nifty piece of hardware, I can assure that, that is true. however those reviewers may not understand electronics or sounds that well.

First off, if you order this (and you should!!) the box you get it in is absolutly gigantic! its so big that it did not fit through my front door, this is because of the subwoofer (subwoofer is bigger than my pc case! width and height! and i have a medium tower). Sound experience is nothing but out of this world! have it on half volume and you can hear it anywhere in the house, have in on full volume it can filter out nearly 100% of all sounds throughout your house as well as race your LCD monitor across the table! Definatly one worth owning for sound ethuastics or those who have money to burn.

HOWEVER- because the subwoofer is gigantic, it creates a deadly EM (electro-magnetic) field, meaning if you put your pc within 2 feet of the subwoofer or any piece of electronics no matter what it is you can cause some serious damage, especially if its prolonged contact. The field is so strong that it increases EMI coming from the power lines that can sometimes create random pops or puffs of sound to your speakers both soft and hard sounds.

The length of wire for each speaker is more than long enough to accomodate your room, but the master control unit to the subwoofer system has a limited cable.

Despite the amazing quality in sound and thx certified it is definatly worth owning if you can afford it. BUT if you buy this hardware YOU MUST purchase/own a surge protector that can protect the sound from increased EMI fields as well as have enough room so that the EM field within the woofer doesn't make contact with your pc equipment. If you don't you will experience mayhem poofs and puffs coming from your speakers and may risk damage to other components.

This is why i rated it 4 out 5 stars. Amazing but Dangerous!

This is the article that prompted me to post today:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=448002

The sub has a tiny magnent. My 12" Dayton out in the front room has a magnent 3 times the size of it. Also the magnents on subs dont do very much damage at all, if any. More then anything its the way the are atuneated.

My Z-5500's tend to pop when a large appliance in the house (washer/dryer) Turns on or off. So I am thinking that maybe a more isolated power strip/supply might be a way to stop it.

When I leave my cell phone by speakers they will start having random popping sounds...and when I move it away it stops.

mofei1 said:
i guess its something to do with electrical interferance. it seems to happen when someone flicks a light switch.

Me too. Exactly the same sympton.

Kevin007 said:
When I leave my cell phone by speakers they will start having random popping sounds...and when I move it away it stops.

thats a different type of interferance. i read in another post that by using a power strip, the random popping should stop.

Back