• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making my 920 more energy efficient

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dapman02

I really want to make my 920 a bit more energy efficient, but I don't want to decrease clock speed to do it.
How much more efficient should I be if I disable Hyper threading. I don't use any applications that really take advantage of 4 cores, let alone 8 logical cores.
What about turbo

What else can I do to make this thing as efficent as possible without loosing my beloved 4.0Ghz and speed :cry:

Turning off HT should decrease temps, which should also allow you to turn down your Vcore by a little bit.

In reality your best bet would probably be to turn your clock down to about 3.8 and enable all of the power saving options. Your loss would be minimal, hell... you might be able to enable the power saving options at 4.0. Have you tried?

Turn it off.... hahaha

No seriously, C1E will lower your clocks and power requirements. But thats not what you want to do...

I have SpeedStep/C1E enabled. That way, when the computer is idling, it is only using 1.104v @ 2.4GHz. When sufficient load appears, it revs up to 3.8GHz @ 1.248v. That's the best power savings you can get.

I have SpeedStep/EIST enabled. Works good and keeps my temps cool at idle. Turbo boost is enabled as well. It even helps more when I have much going on when I'm multi tasking!

I may need to look into some of these options. Im sure my 4.0 @ 24/7 isnt helping the 300 dollar electric bill. Wish our land lord would put some insulation under the house...old hardwood is killin me too.

well, my bill was 50bucks last month for electricity (which includes heating and cooling) I would like it lower
also it would be nice to have my pc on 24/7

I have 2 and a laptop on 24/7, plus my roommate runs his desktop and a laptop I think 24/7. The biggest issues is definately the heater not shutting off. Damn you fla.

I may need to look into some of these options. Im sure my 4.0 @ 24/7 isnt helping the 300 dollar electric bill. Wish our land lord would put some insulation under the house...old hardwood is killin me too.

Whats the reason for having it run at 4GHz 24/7? Why not have the computer automatically downclock when its idling to save power and run cooler?

I leave my computer running 24/7 and my bill is only 60 dollars. I doubt its your computer costing you that much. Check and make sure all of your lights stay off and insulate, thats where the bulk of your money is going.

Back