• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ati 5870 or nvidia gtx 470??????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

huXXXaifah

hi.......im about to build a pc and im confused about my gpu.........the two chioces i have are ati radeon 5870 nad nvidia 470gtx.............sooo what should i get??????which is future proof??????/which is better especially in gta iv and crysis..............ill be pairing it with an i7 920...........so i only rely on u guys soooo plzzzzzzz help me..............!!! ooooo yeah and other thing...is gtx 470 in sli better than ati 5870???if it is plz tell me that for SLI ,,,is there a seperate version of 470gtx for it or it has to be enabled in a regular gtx470?????thnx

Last edited:
wel...........im not sure.........ehhh...............huh..............whats with all the periods..........? :p

IN all seriousness, welcome!!! :)

5870 performs a bit better, less power consumption...etc. So I would go with that.

They are ellipses... I use them all the time. Although I limit myself to the grammatically correct 3 (unless it is a typo). :)

OP:
I have been pondering this myself. I prefer ATI brand and the lower power (and thus heat) at idle) has me leaning towards the 5870. I was at first looking at something smaller. 5770/5830 or a 460/465. But none of them offer a significant upgrade over my current 4890. The 5000 series would be cooler running and use less power, so I am still considering it... oh 5870 should preform better than the 470 IIRC, but not as good as a 480... except in certain games, I am sure even the 460 can beat a 5870 in "those" titles ;)

The 460 is built on the GF104, uses less power than the GF100 core, thus lower heat, but is only 5% better than my current card. So 470/480 or 5870 are my only real options for a current gen upgrade.

If I can hold out 2 more months, I will just hold out for 6000/500 series.

Hi guys,
This was my really long discussion with a friend.
GTX 470 or HD5870? I know that this question has broken lots of brains all over the world.
Well my answer is this: Nvidia has always been really good, but people buy ati because the price. Now ati and Nvidia are in the same level, but Nvidia is got more technology than Ati.

ATI, ok these graphics cards are really good, but are not so good as Nvidia.

I love ATI, I have two hd4980. I bought ATI because since 5000 series, ATI was lot more cheaper and had lot of power, but now that the gtx470 costs 300 eur, and the 5870 costs 370 eur, I get the GTX 470.

In the benchmark says this:

#1 GeForce GTX 480
#2 GeForce GTX 470
#3 Radeon HD 5870
#4 Radeon HD 5970
#5 Radeon HD 5850
#6 GeForce GTX 465
#7 GeForce GTX 460
#8 GeForce GTX 285
#9 Radeon HD 5830
#10 Radeon HD 4890

This is the worldwide benchmark and it is true all what it says. If you want to see the benchmark is: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Buy Nvidia, has a lot more of branches and is more usefull than ATI.
For example, ATI hasn't got the 3d, not like 3d Nvidia Vision

LOL

You know that those tests are

a) not a gpu test solely but a whole system test
b) taken from hundreds of different users.

If the 470 is 70 Euro cheaper than by all means get it.

Look for otehr reviews though if you wish to compare cards performance. the 470 is a little better than the 5850 the 480 is a little better than the 5870.

http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/715548-ati-radeon-hd-5870-vs-nvidia.html 5870 vs 470 review at OCN.... despite the 5870 costing 10% more and performing 10% better he also prefers the 470. I like the honesty in that.

Here is a review comparing all 4 cards

http://www.techspot.com/review/283-geforce-gtx-400-vs-radeon-hd-5800/ (it is also a more recent review so adds driver maturation in to the equation)

If you do intend to go multi card I think SLI handles that better than CFX... I am pretty sure that is still the case.

Last edited:
LOL

Look for otehr reviews though if you wish to compare cards performance. the 470 is a little better than the 5850 the 480 is a little better than the 5870.

http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/715548-ati-radeon-hd-5870-vs-nvidia.html 5870 vs 470 review at OCN.... despite the 5870 costing 10% more and performing 10% better he also prefers the 470. I like the honesty in that.

http://www.techspot.com/review/283-geforce-gtx-400-vs-radeon-hd-5800/ (it is also a more recent review so adds driver maturation in to the equation)

If you do intend to go multi card I think SLI handles that better than CFX... I am pretty sure that is still the case.

Thanks Neuromancer for posting this. I had not read this review compairing all 4 cards

I got significantly better scores on benchmarks with the 470 and the same mobo and cpu and ram. pretty much a clean sweep for the 470. note that it was a very good clocker and the 5870 is a fair clocker. bottom line for performance is how good a card you get either way

LOL

Remember about the part that says that the gtx 470 is runing with BETA drivers. Is well says that when they get real drivers will kick the HD5870 and leave it under water.

If you want a good graphics card for 1 month, get the HD5870, but if you want a graphics card for 6 months get the gtx470, because all we know that in this time they will be geting the 500 series.

Guys, buy gtx and leave hd:D

Remember about the part that says that the gtx 470 is runing with BETA drivers. Is well says that when they get real drivers will kick the HD5870 and leave it under water.

Which is why I also included a review with more mature drivers and comparing more cards and I pointed that out. Results are the same. :thup: I think he will be quite happy with 470 regardless however :) nVidia actively supports game developers. :)

Last edited:
Which is why I also included a review with more mature drivers and comparing more cards and I pointed that out. Results are the same. :thup: I think he will be quite happy with 470 regardless however :) nVidia actively supports game developers. :)

We are talking about the GTX470, not the GTX480 :D.
The last link that you given, says gtx480 and gtx470, but there is nothing about the 470.
And the "mature drivers", do you think tha a beta a little bit upgraded is "mature"
Nvidia will get more power when this BETA goes out, but we are still running with
beta 257 driver.
The next stage is the new drivers, but I think that Nvidia is very clever and will get the best drivers when the 500 series will come out.
All the marketing is crap:-/

If you want a good graphics card for 1 month, get the HD5870, but if you want a graphics card for 6 months get the gtx470, because all we know that in this time they will be geting the 500 series.

Guys, buy gtx and leave hd:D

I just bought a 5870 about a month ago.. I read several benchmark sites before I made my purchase.. the 5870 and the 480 gtx are neck and neck really. Some games work better with nvidia, some with ATI. But getting back to your statement about the nvidia blowing the ati out of the water, it is just wrong. Sorry.

In the benchmark says this:

#1 GeForce GTX 480
#2 GeForce GTX 470
#3 Radeon HD 5870
#4 Radeon HD 5970
#5 Radeon HD 5850
#6 GeForce GTX 465
#7 GeForce GTX 460
#8 GeForce GTX 285
#9 Radeon HD 5830
#10 Radeon HD 4890

This is the worldwide benchmark and it is true all what it says. If you want to see the benchmark is: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Buy Nvidia, has a lot more of branches and is more usefull than ATI.
For example, ATI hasn't got the 3d, not like 3d Nvidia Vision

I just caught this and it made me laugh. It shows the 5970 at #4.

As anyone with a clue will know, the 5970 is 2 5870's on one card so, for it to perform worse than a single 5870 makes absolutely no sense at all.

I prefer ATI also, but my last card was the EVGA 285 gtx 1gb for the record!

I forgot to mention, that depending on your budget, 2 460's in SLI are a really good deal right now. There is a posting in the nvidia forums that links to several reviews of this chipset and a review of it in SLI vs. all the current top cards. It consistently ranks in the top 4 for the games (in SLI), and seems to scale up rather well as resolutions increase.

I forgot to mention, that depending on your budget, 2 460's in SLI are a really good deal right now. There is a posting in the nvidia forums that links to several reviews of this chipset and a review of it in SLI vs. all the current top cards. It consistently ranks in the top 4 for the games (in SLI), and seems to scale up rather well as resolutions increase.

yes 2 460s actually perform a little better then a 480 from what ive read

Does anyone know if some drivers have been announced for the GTX 470?
I've seen that the HD 5870 gets better AVG. FPS but have become stuck on a decision between the two after hearing that the GTX 470 will "smoke it out of the water" with non-BETA drivers.

Should I be worried about the GTX's high temps and power consumption? It will be housed in a HAF-X.

Sorry mate, but it is true that a 5870 gets more power than a 5970, and it is weird. I was going to buy one, but first of all I got some interesting information from internet, magazines, technicians,...
Happens the same with the 4870x2, the 4870 wins it.
I saw a report of these two cards, and they tell you that the crossfire doesn't work properly when you are doing crossfire in the same board. The thing is, what I think is because the high temperature that the GPU of the 5970 and the 4870x2 do, it just cannot perform as well as one GPU. I know that 2 HD5870 will go much better than a single 5970, wont do so much temperature and the software of the crossfire is more solid.

They have to perform the software of the crossfire of the 5970 and less temperature

Does anyone know if some drivers have been announced for the GTX 470?
I've seen that the HD 5870 gets better AVG. FPS but have become stuck on a decision between the two after hearing that the GTX 470 will "smoke it out of the water" with non-BETA drivers.

Should I be worried about the GTX's high temps and power consumption? It will be housed in a HAF-X.

I have the same case:D. Nvidia hasn't announced any new drivers, only the BETA.
And the GTX470, with a good airflow or watercooled system, will win the ATI easy with the new drivers.
If you see in the links that (dont know the name, maybe I spell it wrong) Neuromancer, they are very close, and the ATI is running with the best drivers that they've got, and Nvidia it's still running with BETA!!!

It's like an unfinished game!!

And the GTX470, with a good airflow or watercooled system, will win the ATI easy with the new drivers.
If you see in the links that (dont know the name, maybe I spell it wrong) Neuromancer, they are very close, and the ATI is running with the best drivers that they've got, and Nvidia it's still running with BETA!!!

Yep, it's a very hard decision. If only we knew what the finished drivers will bring.

I am not too sure where you are getting your info from. I know that that the 4870x2 smokes the 4870 by itself...

Also from the nividia site: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7-winvista-64bit-258.96-whql-driver.html

Thats the latest non beta driver for all geforce cards, including the 460, 470 and 480. I think you need to look into things again..

+1 Tokae...

The 4870x2 spanks the 4870 across the board...that is in any game it scales with (which is 99%).

Nvidia has released a couple drivers since the 480/470 were released.

Back