• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just removed the IHS from my Q6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok, the $99,000.00 question remains: Did the victim...oops i mean..patient survive the operation? Inquiring minds wanna know.

Oh and btw hank..I keep getting this image of you driving an old, multicolored Dodge pick-up truck, with a mutt in the front seat, a confederate flag stuck to the back window along with a couple of rifles and country music blaring out from a portable radio, lol.

now yeah back to your temps....did you fix that or what? or did you just do all of that for no reason @ all....and funny thing is my IHS doesnt have solder on it...it looks like if i put a razor under it i could pop it up....lol...maybe with the help of a blow torch

From the looks of how the guts are...i think you could of done that job with just 1 tool...maybe 2....a dremel and a razor...and maybe could of finished it in 1 hour if your careful

Not all chips are soldered on, some are indeed only glued on. For a complete list, see here.

IHS Soldered To Die

Hyperthreading/Single Cores

-(S-775) Pentium 4 Extreme Edition
-(S-775) Pentium 4 HT
-(S-775) Celeron D*
-(S-478) Celeron D*
-(S-478) Pentium 4 HT (Prescott Core)
-(S-478) Pentium 4 HT (Northwood "C" Core)*

Dual Cores

-Core 2 Duo E4700*
-Core 2 Duo E6300 (B2 stepping)
-Core 2 Duo E6320
-Core 2 Duo E6400 (B2 stepping)
-Core 2 Duo E6420
-Core 2 Duo E6540
-Core 2 Duo E6550
-Core 2 Duo E6600
-Core 2 Duo E6700
-Core 2 Duo E6750
-Core 2 Duo E6850
-Core 2 Extreme (Duo) X6800
-Core 2 Duo E8190
-Core 2 Duo E8200
-Core 2 Duo E8400
-Core 2 Duo E8500
-Xeon 3040*
-Xeon 3050
-Xeon 3060
-Xeon 3070
-Xeon X3210
-Xeon X3220
-Xeon X3230
-Xeon X3350
-Xeon X3360
-(S-775) Pentium D
-AMD Athlon X2 6000+

Quad Cores

-Core 2 Quad Q6600
-Core 2 Quad Q6700
-Core 2 Extreme (Quad) QX6700
-Core 2 Extreme (Quad) QX6800
-Core 2 Extreme (Quad) QX6850
-Core 2 Quad Q9300*
-Core 2 Quad Q9450*
-Core 2 Quad Q9550*
-Core 2 Extreme (Quad) QX9650
-Core 2 Extreme (Quad) QX9775
-AMD Phenom X4*

IHS Not Soldered To Die

Hyperthreading/Single Cores

-(S-478) Pentium 4 HT (Northwood "A" and "B" Core)*
-(S-478) Celeron*
-(S-775) Celeron*
-AMD Athlon 64 3200+*
-AMD Athlon 64 3700+*
-AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (Venice core)

Dual Cores

-Celeron Dual Core E1200
-Celeron Dual Core E1400
-Pentium Dual Core E2140
-Pentium Dual Core E2160
-Pentium Dual Core E2180
-Pentium Dual Core E2200
-Pentium Dual Core E2220
-Core 2 Duo E4300
-Core 2 Duo E4400
-Core 2 Duo E4500
-Core 2 Duo E4600
-Core 2 Duo E6300 (L2 stepping)*
-Core 2 Duo E6400 (L2 stepping)*
-Core 2 Duo E7200*

Kudos man, did the temps get better after lapping the dice ?
Not yet, and they're actually toastier. Something is not making contact :(

UPDATE! UPDATE! Plz...... I've been on the edge of my seat!
1.) Copper ring around the dies is sanded down as far as it will go.
2) Both dies have been lapped to remove all the Intel thermalcrap on them
3.) Waterblock still isn't making full contact, so the dies need to be lapped until they're both identically flat

Ok, the $99,000.00 question remains: Did the victim...oops i mean..patient survive the operation? Inquiring minds wanna know.
Yes it survived, and it works. Temps are just currently higher then I would like :beer:

Also, I have Creamique on it since I ran out of AS5 (too many installations of this chip) :shrug: Here are my temps after having my comp on for about 12 hours.

Attachments

• temps.JPG
    temps.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 920
i think to get decent temps you will need 2 waters blocks, custome made for each core on a frame with each side being adjustable.

Wow. I'm sure that even my Dremel will want to try this. Maybe when I get an E8400, maybe.

So far i'm seeing more problems and time spent than better temps though. Is that little chip off the one corner of the far right part (I don't know what it is) above your cores giving you any trouble? It looks like you just barely knicked it with somethng while cutting.

Are you lapping both dies at once with an even surfaced sander, or "..a little on this one and then a little on this one.." until they match?

Well, if you ever do this again at least you'll have experience at it. :D

i think to get decent temps you will need 2 waters blocks, custome made for each core on a frame with each side being adjustable.
Hook me up bro :beer:

Is that little chip off the one corner of the far right part (I don't know what it is) above your cores giving you any trouble? It looks like you just barely knicked it with somethng while cutting.

Are you lapping both dies at once with an even surfaced sander, or "..a little on this one and then a little on this one.." until they match?

Well, if you ever do this again at least you'll have experience at it. :D

That little chip was there, because with 35k RPMs going on the dremel, if I nicked it, it would have gone flying. I am lapping both cores at once using some 3000 grit sandpaper. And yes, I plan on doing it again ;)

wow, that is brutal.

You should have just lapped the IHS as thin a possible instead of tearing off the top...

hmm thats actually not a bad idea, though if you don't have control over the pressure the heatsink/water block puts of your chip you might get worse temps since it isn't as tight.

wow, that is brutal.

You should have just lapped the IHS as thin a possible instead of tearing off the top...

I was actually thinking of doing that on the next one, since you can get it a whole ton thinner then the default thickness, and without breaking into the die area.

Good job going naked with that. I would never try that unless i had the money incase i ****ed up. Otherwise i'd try the blow torch approach.

Right now my 4000+ is naked, and at stock it would never get above 32C.

Back