• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit IP35 Pro and q8200 wont post, hangs on 90

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dark bishop

Recently bought a Abit IP35 Pro motherboard which was fairly well rated at its time and the q8200 i already had from and acer.

My problem is it will not post, i press start and everything spins up and it gives a few flashes on the code display and then sits on 90 forever. Code 90 is supposed to mean switching from the uGuru bios to AWARDBios but it never gets past this no matter what configuration i have it in.

Q8200
Abit IP35 Pro
Corsair XMS2 2x4GB 1066
XFX 8400gs pcie
PC Power & Cooling 500w

I've been searching around about your problem and it seems that the IP35 series never officially supported 45nm quads. I've seen reports of other people struggling with 45nm CPUs with this board, in particular the later revisions of the Q8200.

This thread has some good info for you:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2135381

At the very least you'll need to make sure the BIOS is updated to the latest official version, and if that doesn't work you might need to use a beta or modified version. Unfortunately Abit went belly up so you might have to do some searching to find the BIOS files. Hopefully you have a spare CPU you can stick in there to flash the BIOS. Wish I had a better answer for you.

Thanks for the help, most informative thing I've heard about this board since I started trying to troubleshoot.

Ill see if a different cpu does the job, finding bios won't be fun though.

I think i have a copy of the latest official bios for the IP35 Pro..........Stand by....

Edit: Found it.

BIOS ID:17

Fixed 45nm CPU compatibility and support CPU half multiplier.
Fixed the Wake Up by WAKE# of PCIe function abnormality.
Fixed system hang when used Intel PXE CPU series.
Fixed CPU temperature abnormality when S3 return.
BIOS compiled date: 05/26/2008.

View attachment M629B_17.zip

Last edited:
updating the bios wont be the problem, booting at all is the problem, all it does is hang on code 90.

i've tried with the q8200 and both a pcie and pci graphics card in every slot with no result.
i've tried a e7400 (45nm but dual core) with the same and no result.
now im trying with a pentium d 930 which i know to be 65nm and no result with the pcie card in either slot, next is the pci card.

edit: tried with the pci card and no result either.

been doing only one stick of 1gb ddr2 800 ram that i know works and tested well in other systems, wouldnt it show a code if it was the ram? problem is im getting no display what so ever out of any graphics combination i try :/

Just ideas....It's been awhile since i ran these boards & my memory ain't what it used to be.

Just another though....As i don't know if you're aware or all that you have tried, but i remember selling one of my IP35 Pro's and having the guy try & tear me a new one because the board wouldn't post.......Turns out upon assembly he accidentally bump the clear cmos switch on the back panel.

If you haven't yet, check that. It should be down. (Away from the key board/mouse inputs)

CMOS Switch.jpg

One more question for you: What video card are you trying to use with the IP35 Pro? I've just discovered that PCI-e 2.1 cards do not work in my IP35-E. I've learned that typically BIOS updates are required to make PCI-e 2.1 cards work on PCI-e 1.0 or 1.1 slots, and unfortunately I don't think there is a BIOS version for the IP35 that adds this support (at least none that I can find). My board will not post with a brand new HD 5450 (PCI-e 2.1), yet it works with PCI 1.0 and 2.0 cards. The HD 5450 works on my Gigabyte Z77 board. So if you're trying to use a PCI 2.1 or 3 card, it's not going to work.

EDIT: Oops, I missed the post where you mentioned you tried a PCI video card. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
Back