• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Almost all 1150's are the same?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shell

I've been looking at Z97 1150 mobos and about 95% of them have 6 caps and 4 inductors, from $80 boards to $250 boards.

I know they're not all using the same value parts, but it's so hard picking one from another becuase they seem to all be based on a reference design and the peak wattage it can deliver is hard to find.

There's no CPUs over 100W on 1150 so there's hardly any beefy boards, back on 775 and AMD you can get $75 boards which can handle 120W chips.

So should I just go for the cheapest thing that has heatsinks the VRMs?

Something like a Gigabyte Z97-HD3, there's tons for $110.

Most decent quality mobos for the newer Intel chips will OC about as far as you can take it on ambient cooling. The Gigabyte will suit your needs or another lower end priced board such as an Asrock Z97 Extreme 4.

if you dont mind pciex16-pciex8 the extreme 4 or 6 is all you might need.
I wanted 2 pcie16 slots so i got the extreme9.

I have no idea why most manufacturers are releasing so many similar boards. When you look at the Z97 list then there is like 150 boards but when you wish to pick something better for OC then you won't find more than 6-7 models.

Since maybe a year most manufacturers have many gaming series boards with only different LAN, sound or one more or less SATA controller. It's pretty pointless as most of these boards won't have good BIOS updates etc. and manufacturers will focus only on the top series.

Since Shamino left I also see that ASUS has delays with ROG series. There are no Extreme or Impact boards on the market yet. Impact is in pre-release version for over 2 months already.

I just noticed that ASRock Z87M OCF had 12 power phases while Z97M OCF has 8 phases. Not a big difference but it's maybe one of reasons why Z97 version is cheaper.

The ASRock Z97 Extreme 6 has some really really really really really beefed up VRMs at ~$170

You probably want one with really beefed up VRMs if getting a G3258.

A G3258 will hit roughly 120 W easily, if not more when OC'ed.

You probably want one with really beefed up VRMs if getting a G3258.

A G3258 will hit roughly 120 W easily, if not more when OC'ed.

That's a 53W TDP CPU, unless you're pushing 1.9V on LN2 you're not getting anywhere near 100W.

I would honestly be surprised if you pulled 70W on any ambient cooling method.

Too funny Atmin I read that also and was like "Um What" :shrug:

Seriously, you would have to be pushing pretty hard on that thing to get it to 120w, ambient cooling need not apply.

That's a 53W TDP CPU, unless you're pushing 1.9V on LN2 you're not getting anywhere near 100W.

I would honestly be surprised if you pulled 70W on any ambient cooling method.

Going by tests done by others, it reportedly hit 119 W at around 1.5 V.

I would be floored is someone hit 119W on a 53W CPU with ambient cooling... that doesn't seem right at all... Got any links?

However, for the power consumption tests we re-enable everything in order to get a real-world power draw. The power draw is measured via a power meter at the wall, so the numbers below are of total system power draw from the mains, not the power consumption of a CPU itself. Measuring the power draw of any individual component in a PC is tricky to impossible to acheive.
From the Bit-Tech test.

In our power draw test, we used a kill-a-watt to measure the total system power draw when both idle and under load.
From the digital storm test.

Makes sense. And measuring from the AC side can be tricky, too. Better use the same PSU at all times.

Could anyone measure directly off the CPU lead?

They'll get about 50W, as we mentioned before.

Helps to read HOW power draw is measured.

I got a 4690K for $193 whoooo.

Oh god wot do, now I MUST choose a board.

Gigabyte Z97X-GAMING 3 looks good, has 6 caps and 8 phases, cheaper than any 6-phase 4-cap boards I can get locally, lots of 4-phase 6-cap ones for $20 cheaper though.

Phase and caps?

yep!
A single super low ESR capacitor can result in very clean power, but high amperage HF noise puts a lot of strain on it, more in parallel means lower effective ESR and more current and lower noise, but still being pushed less hard... more caps means more caps to fail though.

Phase, each inductor filters one switch or group of switches converting 12v to 1.8v or whatever goes into the Haswell chip which then reduces the voltage further internally.
Cleaner power into the CPU means less work internally regulating.

Although, some manufacturers *coughmsi* use wimpy phases or are faking it, just having parallel/series inductors.

Makes sense. And measuring from the AC side can be tricky, too. Better use the same PSU at all times.

Could anyone measure directly off the CPU lead?

They'll get about 50W, as we mentioned before.

Helps to read HOW power draw is measured.

Phase and caps?

yep!

A single super low ESR capacitor can result in very clean power, but high amperage HF noise puts a lot of strain on it, more in parallel means lower effective ESR and more current and lower noise, but still being pushed less hard... more caps means more caps to fail though.

Phase, each inductor filters one switch or group of switches converting 12v to 1.8v or whatever goes into the Haswell chip which then reduces the voltage further internally.
Cleaner power into the CPU means less work internally regulating.

Although, some manufacturers *coughmsi* use wimpy phases or are faking it, just having parallel/series inductors.

maybe im missing something since i have been out of the loop so long... i just noticed this in CoreTemp, power section. first pic is with the cpu just idling or me surfing the web, then i started up prime95, while not ran for very long. you get the idea, any one else seen or tested this with a killawatt to see what numbers they get. might be able to get in the ball park with out actually getting/messing around such tiny contacts, might short something out. that would be bad

Attachments

• coretemppower.jpg
    coretemppower.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 87
  • coretemppowertest.jpg
    coretemppowertest.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 89
I don't think it's the real wattage of the G3258 but under load can be close at 1.2V.
On the other hand TDP for Pentiums and i3 ( or even i5 ) is about the same for most of the chips and it's impossible that every CPU had the same TDP especially that some have 2x more cache, cores or HT and different VID.
I think that some series have max TDP set at the worst possible VID so 1.25 or 1.3V ( I don't remember exactly how high it was for haswell ) while most of them have something near 1.1V.

Back