• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Bulldozer 990FX / 9xx Motherboard Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Happy times: a very nice looking Crosshair V Formula arrived on my doorstep today. I'm going to try getting the review out before the end of the month. No guarantees, but I'll try my best!

Happy times: a very nice looking Crosshair V Formula arrived on my doorstep today. I'm going to try getting the review out before the end of the month. No guarantees, but I'll try my best!

Damn I wish I had one at my doorstep :drool: I can't wait for some $130ish boards to come out that I can afford, what chipset would they have that's like my 880G + SB850? I am assuming 980G + SB950?

I hope you have a thuban to play with that in.

I'm thinking one of those CH-V's will be on my next mastercard statement :eek:

I hope you have a thuban to play with that in.

I'm thinking one of those CH-V's will be on my next mastercard statement :eek:

1100T will be the weapon of choice. I won't be going cold on it, the CPU's limits were already found and were disappointing. We'll have to wait until Bulldozer to see how this board performs cold. :thup:

Sweet! Im looking forward to the review.

Im expecting mine this weekend. As soon as i get it, itll go WC. My 800D case is feeling a bit nekkid right now :p

Bah....regrettably, when I took it out for photographing last night, there was an IC knocked off the board either before it was packaged or on its way here (I'm thinking the former because of the good packaging). I'm currently waiting on ASUS' reply on a replacement. I'm fairly certain the review won't be out before the end of the month at this point. Sorry folks. :(

Bah....regrettably, when I took it out for photographing last night, there was an IC knocked off the board either before it was packaged or on its way here (I'm thinking the former because of the good packaging). I'm currently waiting on ASUS' reply on a replacement. I'm fairly certain the review won't be out before the end of the month at this point. Sorry folks. :(

Awwww thats misfortunate I was looking forward to it =/ Maybe you can convince them to send you a BD sample as well to make up for the delay ;)

Hahaha...I'll (likely, hopefully) get one of those from AMD. Just need a board to put it in and was hoping this was it. They'll probably replace it and I'll review it for sure, it will just take a little time.

GA-990FXA-UD3.jpg

990FXA-UD3 looks nice for a quite cheap board ... I didn't play with AMD stuff since 939, well maybe except some low end boards at work ...
I'm curious what is real difference in oc between this UD3 and UD5/7.
In Poland this board cost ~160$ while CHV about ~300$ ( inc tax ) :censored: ... I have hope that price will drop soon.

The biggest difference I see from an OC'ing perspective is a slightly weaker power section. If you're not planning on going cold, the UD3 would probably be just fine. The UD5 also seems to add more SATA ports and has a different PCIe slot configuration (all 16x-sized slots).

The biggest difference I see from an OC'ing perspective is a slightly weaker power section. If you're not planning on going cold, the UD3 would probably be just fine. The UD5 also seems to add more SATA ports and has a different PCIe slot configuration (all 16x-sized slots).

Both UD3 and UD5 are 8+2 phase ( and UD7 too ). Difference is mainly in pcie config as UD3 can run 2way CF/SLI in x8/x8/x4/x4 and UD5 can run 3 way CF/SLI in x16/x16/x8/x8. UD5 has 2 more SATA ports and that's almost all.
I wanted UD3 but I got nice price for UD5 so I got one for my 2nd pc today ... will try it in next days.

Last edited:
after seeing all the new boards, i am going to stick to my guns and order a CHVF. The Sabertooth looks nice but i am a sucker for the extra features of the CHVF like the Intel LAN and the X-Fi built in audio, saves me time and slots instead of getting a new NIC and Sound Card.

The Xfi audio is not Xfi. It is a realtek chip with Xfi software. Also while the Intel NIC is superior to, say, your average Realtek nic, it still isn't as good as something like a Bigfoot Killer NIC card. Ultimately the sound should be the same. I'm fairly certain that the ST and CHV have a similar VRM layout. The CHV does include a full version of Kaspersky and ISO mounting software, which is nice. Don't know anyone who'd need a five year warranty. Most replatform after 3.

this excited me at first then with intel deciding to release their new chipset soon which is gona be even faster, this kinda lost its appeal :p. you never know though, we could be shocked, but considering the state that amd processors have been in for the last 4 -5 years i aint holding out hope. :(

The 990FX has no major changes over the 890FX. Even the SB950 is essentially a rebadged SB850. If you already have a 890/880/870 AM3 board that can support AM3+ (after a bios update) then I don't see the point in replacing it with a 990FX.

The 990FX has no major changes over the 890FX. Even the SB950 is essentially a rebadged SB850. If you already have a 890/880/870 AM3 board that can support AM3+ (after a bios update) then I don't see the point in replacing it with a 990FX.

Well their are some differences, like an upgrade to Hyper Transport 3.1, and many board manufacturers are including better features on the new boards like UEFI BIOS and better power phases.

Well their are some differences, like an upgrade to Hyper Transport 3.1, and many board manufacturers are including better features on the new boards like UEFI BIOS and better power phases.

What has me confused is that some of these 9xx boards don't even mention HT 3.1. I'm wondering if thats reserved for the server market...?

Back