• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bit the bullet ..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Metallica

After being out gaming for a while, and after playing Diablo 3 beta .. I've decided I wanted to a new machine to run these games a bit better than my laptop. Nothing fancy, just enough to not have to run everything on low and still get lame framerates.

Check this out:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.904613

I picked this up, along with an HD6870 and a 128gb Crucial m4. How did I do? I was wanting to go with an i5, but I just couldn't justify spending the extra cash, as I don't really game much anyways. This will probably be used as an HTPC more than anything.

Most of us assemble our own but that is likely a fair kit for you and far better than a laptop for more off than on gaming. Good luck with assembly and IF it were me I would assemble and load drivers and so forth and then run Prime95 "blend test" for at least two hours to test for stability before installing all my games and other applications. No sense experiencing teething crashes during early use with a bunch of apps that could experience minor corruption due early crashes. Test before load up is just a sensible process on the setup and get running procedure.

A case that small and with a stock cpu cooler is NOT and likely never will be a very good overclocker but the processor itself has TurboCore and will up the cpu speed by itself depending on load on the cpu. Just know what you bought is not designed as a 'whole' for overclocking.

I don't know how I ended up putting this in the amd section, this should be in the general section. My bad!
Most of us assemble our own but that is likely a fair kit for you and far better than a laptop for more off than on gaming. Good luck with assembly and IF it were me I would assemble and load drivers and so forth and then run Prime95 "blend test" for at least two hours to test for stability before installing all my games and other applications. No sense experiencing teething crashes during early use with a bunch of apps that could experience minor corruption due early crashes. Test before load up is just a sensible process on the setup and get running procedure.

A case that small and with a stock cpu cooler is NOT and likely never will be a very good overclocker but the processor itself has TurboCore and will up the cpu speed by itself depending on load on the cpu. Just know what you bought is not designed as a 'whole' for overclocking.

I just wanted the cheapest build possible that will still play new games decently. Not really interested in overclocking atm. And I really wanted a good solid state. I've actually changed the setup a bit since the order had some issues with financing.

The new build is similar, but with an i3 2100.

CPU: I3 2100
MOBO:BIOSTAR B75MU3+
PSU:COOLER MASTER RS500
RAM: PNY XLR8 8GB (2 x 4GB)
SSD: Crucial M4 2.5" 128GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 750GB
GPU: XFX HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870
And some generic cheap/free shipping case ;d

Last edited:
Back