• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temp' opinions on OC'd FX-4170

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KetoSoi

I'm starting to wonder if something isnt quite right with the H60 cooler I'm using.

My current setup...

Asus M5A99X EVO mobo
AMD FX-4170
G.Skill 2133 (2 4gb sticks)
Corsair H60 Cooler (using AS5 at this point)
Coolmax 700w PS
Thermaltake Black Edition V3 case (viewing window removed)

2 feed fans, the H60 fan as exhaust.

Attachments as follows. Idle temps indicated... ambient temp about 80*

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• config1.jpg
    config1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 542
  • config2.jpg
    config2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 378
  • temps1.jpg
    temps1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 395
I think the core temps are believable because there is not much spread between core temps and CPU socket temps in HWMonitor. I worry when there is a huge spread that the core temps are not accurate. The temp you are getting are surprisingly good given the high ambient temps and only using an H60 cooler.

I think the core temps are believable because there is not much spread between core temps and CPU socket temps in HWMonitor. I worry when there is a huge spread that the core temps are not accurate. The temp you are getting are surprisingly good given the high ambient temps and only using an H60 cooler.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you.... there seems to be quite a wide spread between CPU socket temp and core temp, 43* vs 19*. I thought maybe the Asus mobo was set to intentionally read high on the CPU socket.

Under heavy load, using Intel Burn-in Test by AG, the cores hit 58*C. The board was completely stable, no issues or other weirdness.

39* vs 19* = that is Core Temp at some sort of load and Core Temp at IDLE (not heavy use).

The 43* is what many of us still call socket temp and in the line across HWMonitor for those temps are where you would correlate that temp and not to an IDLE Core Temp of 19*.

"trents" was speaking to the 43c CPU Temp and the 39c Core Temp being very close together which is good and they are not overly high in reading.

Now at the very end of your post above you do say this >> "the cores hit 58*C." Now that we consider to be above the 55c which has been the stable, heat limit for many. If you are fully fully stable at that 58c then good, since many are not. Each system can be slightly different. I certainly would not want to see much higher than 60c core temps if it were me.

"trents" was speaking to the 43c CPU Temp and the 39c Core Temp being very close together which is good and they are not overly high in reading.

Now at the very end of your post above you do say this >> "the cores hit 58*C." Now that we consider to be above the 55c which has been the stable, heat limit for many. If you are fully fully stable at that 58c then good, since many are not. Each system can be slightly different. I certainly would not want to see much higher than 60c core temps if it were me.

OK, I'm following ya now. That makes more sense, thanks :D

The core readings hit 58*c during stress tests. That was with a stress level of 'High' on AgentGod's app, over 5 cycles. I've run it quite a few times in repetition. I also have CoreTemp running, and it seems to match HWM consistently. Again, that at an ambient of 26-27*C.

I'm not too concerned at this point based on the VERY useful info you guys provided :)

So is the CPU socket temp reading just kind of useless?

Thanks guys :D

So is the CPU socket temp reading just kind of useless?

Thanks guys :D

Well not really if you believe this later information. You can begin to read at post #82. At that post there is what is said to be the third time the information was brought forth. I guess in that same thread. I am pointing you toward the 82 second post though, not the beginning.

See post #82 and forward.

I post you this link "only" so you will not say you were not advised. "trents" and myself and a few others, mostly have helped users that have issues. It seems just that way. We have been helping FX-series users and have developed a pattern that has worked, that includes temps. We are adjusting upward our temperature Max for FX-series in the HWMonitor CPU CORE TEMP section and is why I said I would not like to see greater than 60c for CPU CORE TEMP which is higher than the 55c for older phenom 2s.

I would not let that link and information from AMD customer support, throw you for a loop. You are within what has proven very effective temps wise over nearly a year now since users have come into this forum section for help with their FX-series. However you are now advised all the way around. I am not changing the way I inspect temps, even being fully aware of the thread I am linking you to.

Good luck man since you seem to have a very clockable FX processor. I had looked hard at the FX-4170 myself due its' higher initial clock which normally means that particular cpu line-up must pass a higher binning process. I however am going to wait in PileDrive before making a move. Again, luck to you man.

I would not let that link and information from AMD customer support, throw you for a loop.

Thanks Rgone, that is damn useful information. I'm a Systems Engineer, and that info goes a long way to explain various behaviors I've observed.

I'm going to contact Asus to see how the BIOS is set for reading temps, any offset, via what registers, etc.

I knew I would have fun with this, lol

Thanks again :D

Yep, I know about A+ personalities. Hehehe. Was one until I aged and realized I did not have enough time to know everything. In some cases just give me what...leave the why alone.

Would be very interested if Asus offers anything meaningful. They have to stay within the NDA of AMD. You can PM me anything that you feel unwilling to share openly. Thanks man. RGone...ster.

Thanks Rgone, that is damn useful information. I'm a Systems Engineer, and that info goes a long way to explain various behaviors I've observed.

I'm going to contact Asus to see how the BIOS is set for reading temps, any offset, via what registers, etc.

I knew I would have fun with this, lol

Thanks again :D

i don't see a problem with his temps at all, i wish mine looked like that at 4.5.................. and his vcore looks right in range.

Just a little update....

I replaced the stock fan on the H60 with a pair of Cooler Master R4-BMBS-20PK-R0 fans, in a push/pull config.

Ambient was 79*F, 1* lower than my initial post.

1st pic is the pc sitting at idle for a couple hours. 2nd pic shows the result of running AG's Burn-in Test on 'high' stress for 6 cycles.

Attachments

• temps2.jpg
    temps2.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 340
  • temps2a.jpg
    temps2a.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 340
Just a little update....

I replaced the stock fan on the H60 with a pair of Cooler Master R4-BMBS-20PK-R0 fans, in a push/pull config.

Ambient was 79*F, 1* lower than my initial post.

1st pic is the pc sitting at idle for a couple hours. 2nd pic shows the result of running AG's Burn-in Test on 'high' stress for 6 cycles.

Those are good temps, i think there is more in it yet...

Just thought I'd update this with the latest info...

I changed my case to an Antec 302 for better fan support (its a damn nice case too). My sig has the current setup.

The low temp indicated was the box being idled for about an hour. High temp was me playing Dragon Age II for 90 minutes, lol. Ambient was 78*F.

I'm pretty happy with the results.

Attachments

• temps3a.jpg
    temps3a.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 335
Amen, but if it works there and is playing like you like it you might just be where you don't have to push the processor and then let temps just suddenly at some point, jump up. That happens because you have to pour the voltage to the processor at some point to kick it on up the hill.

Asus M5A99X EVO, BIOS 1208
XXX CPU W/ Corsair H60 with CM Fan
G.Skill DDR3 2133, 2x4GB
Coolmax 700w
Sapphire ATI 6870
1TB Seagate 6/GBs, 1TB Hitachi 3/GBs, no RAID
Gear Head 24XDVDINT
Realtek HD Onboard
Win7 Ultimate
Antec 302 Case
3 Enermax TB Silence Blue LED 120mm Fans
1 Antec 140mm Silent Fan

GOOD Signature. Where is the CPU in use shown?

GOOD Signature. Where is the CPU in use shown?

Doh! LOL... minor oversight. Fixed ;)

This is what I'm running currently...

Its plays quite well, and is dead stable, temps behave nicely. I think it'll live a long time like this. I might mess with it a little more, but overall I'm satisfied with the whole setup.

Attachments

• cfg1.jpg
    cfg1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 319
  • cfg2.jpg
    cfg2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 321
Looks pretty slick from where I sit man. The main person I have to please is my ownself and you seem well pleased. Luck man. RGone...ster.

Back