• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel HSF on 7950gt.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sephis

After reading about Navig's little adventure here. I realized that I had a stock intel C2D heatsink lying about unused. After fretting about the load temps on my "new" BFG7950gt, I decided to take action.

I cut all the holding arms off of the bottom of the sink. I then ran 2x(4-40) threaded rods through two holes in the card on opposite sides of the core. These rods run all the way through to the top of the heatsink. They are held on by a nut at each end, as well as washers and rubber insulators on the ends touching the card.

Stock photo from pricegrabber.
26151803_640.jpg

After installation of intel HSF.
100_1252.jpg

Backside of card showing bolts, nuts and washers. Sorry about the blurriness.
100_1254.jpg

Installed.
100_1255.jpg

I removed the plastic boot thingy from around the fan connector pins and slid the fan connector from the intel HSF onto them. Works like a charm.

My ATItool load temps dropped from 78C to 47C. :eek: I haven't overclocked it yet, but its coming.

Big thanks to Navig for the inspiration. :beer: or :soda: whichever you prefer.

Last edited:
i thought bout doing the same thing with my e6600 stock cooler and my 8800gts 640... though i dont think it woulda cooled much better... nice temp drop you got tho. id run 4 bolts with some stiff springs if i were you to even out pressure.

I can't use four bolts. There are only two holes large enough for the 4-40 threaded rod. The four actual mounting holes are much smaller. I can't find anything locally that will fit through them.

I went to lowes and a couple mom and pop places. The smallest thing I could find that was over one inch was 4-40 threaded rod. There are smaller screws, but I would need them to be at least 2.5 inches. The longest I could find in smaller sizes was usually an inch or 3/4 of an inch.

Nah, the nearest Home Depot is either Jackson or Murray. Both of those places are over an hour from here. I'm not driving an hour just to pick up a few tiny screws.

Thanks for the advice blackersabbath. I wasn't trying to come off mean or anything. Just stating a fact.

The card didn't originally come with ramsinks. (See stock photo up top.) The ram stays plenty cool without them. There actually cooler now than before, the fan blows air through the fins and out over the ram chips.

one thing i definetly would do would be to make a back plate so the card doesnt get bent... i got my 6600gt AGP with my intel p4 hs on it, and without the backplate i bent the card a good 3/8ths of a inch... i actually took the hs off and set it so that gravity would straighten it back out then i remounted the p4 hs with a backplate i made.

Yeah, I drew up a backplate, but I don't have the material on hand to build it at the moment. It will probably have to wait till after christmas.

Also, after having a chance for the AS5 to settle in, the load temps have now dropped to 44C.

nd4spdbh2 was right of course, the card was starting to bend already. I looked around and came up with a piece of aluminum flatbar. I drilled a couple holes and attached a rubber disk to its center.

The rubber disk is circled. Again, sorry for the poor picture. I should have took it before I installed the card.

100_1256.jpg

The card is no longer bowed, and my load temps are still 44c-45c

Back