• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

true Offline GPS for Android

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadMan007

Magical Leopluridon Senior
Hi all, I am looking for some advice on a true offline GPS for Android. I have a tablet which has no wireless data (wifi only) but does have GPS. Using 'GPS Test' I can confirm that the tablet receives GPS data fine without any other wireless connection.

What I'm looking for is a true offline GPS that basically just works like a stand-alone GPS unit. I am willing to use memory to store maps for offline use. It seems that getting one to work decently is hard :( which I don't really understand - why should it be so hard to duplicate what standalone GPS units do without having to temporarily cache data from a wifi/cellular connection? If I go somewhere I don't want to leave the tablet on all day solely to save the cached data. Anyway, I've tried...

I've tried Navfree USA - works great when there is a Wifi connection at startup, street name search seems poor though even when I can clearly find the street on the map, crashes (a lot) and most important it does not load a map at all without Wifi. There's something wrong with the program in that I can never really tell the map has been installed based on memory usage (the program indicates the map loaded fine), but even if the map did load without Wifi the poor search makes it not very useful.

ZANavi - tried this one as well. It actually does load without Wifi, street search is horrible though, performance is slow.

The only other programs I've seen are paid, I'd be willing to try some if anyone has had luck with the exact usage I'm looking for - a true offline GPS that doesn't need a data connection to determine routes.

I think what you want is the new google maps, it provides offline maps support. They have only mentioned about making cities available offline and I haven't tried it yet. So I'm not sure how large of an area is available offline. Open maps and in the menu select "make available offline", then you get turn by turn and everything when you have no connection.

Edit: after brief testing it seems the "my places" offline feature, is limited to 86mb size chunks of data, however you can add multiple places. I covered Florida in about 8 square my places.

Last edited:
Looking for something that doesn't require a data connection to cache, or require a data connection at all. :) Google Maps navigation is halfway there, but it still doesn't truly work like a stand-alone GPS. I'll try it out a bit though.

I may have to go for paid apps...maybe I'll try out Sygic, it has a free trial at least. I've read some good and not so good things about it though.

Last edited:
iGO My Way. I had it once before on a previous phone. Wasn't my favorite, but it had like a 2Gb download for North America maps. Seems hard to find now. They make it for iOS, think there was an android version in the works, but they stopped and never released it, but there are links for downloads out there. Dig a little and you should be able to find some. And from what I can tell it's not pirating or illegal as it looks like it was never released so the stuff out there is just out there. Not really sure, I can't find anything on their site about and Android version. I did have it and tested it at one point and it was OK.

Looks like it was developed for business partners only to NNG, but was never released publicly. So yeah...

Heard this is pretty good as well...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.navfree.android.OSM.USA

Last edited:
CoPilot is what i use, not free though but its great on all my android devices.

I use Sygic and it works pretty good. Navigon is great on IOS, wifey has an Android phone and uses Sygic but I have Navigon installed, just never had the opportunity to use it yet. You do need to download the maps of the areas you want first but after that, it's pure offline GPS (we don't have data plans so I know for sure it is not using data)

Back