• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's a good gaming mouse? (2012 edition)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would kill for an exact wireless version of the G5. I know they have the G7, which is very, very similar, but it only has 1 thumb button on the side, which kills it entirely for me. The G700 is a completely different shape and feel :(

Another vote for the G500. I got upgraded to one a couple of years ago from a g5, or a g7 I forget, and it has been awesome. You can set 5 profiles for switchable resolutions, usb polling rate is adjustable, all that good stuff. It has the adjustable weight system and a "sleeved" cable, and can be used without a pad on a decently smooth surface. It's the most high end mouse I've ever used, but I can't imagine anything being more awesome.

I'm still using my MX518 after... god, I can't even remember how many years. I think i bought it along with Battlefield 2, so that's what, since 2006 (5-6 years)?

I don't use DPI changing (though this has 400-800-1600 without software and up to 5 customizable points with software). I love the layout and I can't use any other mouse for daily computing since I use almost all of the buttons on the mouse for a specific purpose that really makes things more efficient for me:

Left click, right click and middle click are all standard settings. Mouse4 (big thumb button) goes back, mouse5 (small thumb button) goes forward, DPI+ (above scroll wheel) closes a window and DPI- (below scroll wheel) minimizes a window. I don't use the document-flip button (though that has it's standard bind).

Logitech is the way to go, IMO. the RAT7 is cool, but every one I've seen has issues (several of my friends have bought them only to have them stop working). I liked old Razer mice (Diamondback and before) since they were small and catered well to the "claw-grip." However, newer Razer mice feel enormous and I'm not the biggest fan of them.

I'd say G5 (rev2, with two side buttons) or G500 are your best bet, I'd find them for less than MSRP though, shouldn't be too hard.

I'm using a RAT7 atm. Alternative Mionix NAOS 5000 is another great mouse.
Can't wait for the RAT MMO7 to come out soon..
I have rather large hands and tried a ton of mice. The RAT is my choice out of the bunch.

Well the RAT7. its simply a rather inexperienced manufacturer, which might have great innovations but many of those have had it and finally failed at a certain spot, its usualy endurance. They can look as stable as they wish, its not failproof***. But for those who want to risk it, it surely is a fun new toy. It got endless adjustable stuff but that makes it aswell just pretty heavy and for some people in some way to complicated or unpleasant to use. Its simply "love it or hate it".

So ultimately only those 3 could be "good to go" in my view:
MX518: Best price/power ratio + highest endurance but lesser functions
G9: Is in the middle spot and got the advantage of both, but doesnt exceed at anything
RAT: Is the most adjustable but it may lack reliability and isnt easy to maintain, aswell a bit heavy (need some skill and its truly love it or hate it)

With all the reviews, and the fact that I have had the RAT 7 since its release date, reliability is NOT something that I have had any type of problem with. The RAT is made out of some pretty strong materials, and that is why it may be a bit heavier, but it still has adjustable weights.

I am also a bit confused when you said it isnt easy to maintain. Do you mean to clean? I clean my about once every 3 months or so, and have no issues cleaning it or maintaining it.

THE PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN!!!

(And by the way, I signed a confidentiality agreement that I am obeying to the letter, and I'm not allowed to tell you the company I'm working for... though I'm told they gave every employee some sort of gift for Christmas.)

Thanks for all the help!

I'm still not good enough to actually USE this thing yet... but I wasn't all that great with using a joystick or a regular mouse either before I got the hang of it. I guess it just takes practice. My main problem right now is that my hand tends to ride UP just before I pull the trigger. (and up and to the left for a tracking shot.)

But I will practice and I *will* get good.

I know a lot about a lot of things but mouse quality was not one of them. I've always been a mid-range PC guy... and it's a bit astonishing that it's taken me my entire life to get a good mouse. But I have a decent job now, and I've got the money, so now I've got the mouse. (And while I was at the store, a brand new i7 2670QM laptop with a 2GB 540M built-in... because I deserve it!)

I'll use the RX250 that I just bought for my laptop since the touchpad on this thing is a pain in the ***.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• G500.jpg
    G500.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 412
I can only guess what company you work for rainless!

I think the date may be off on that christmas gift that you received ;)

I can only guess what company you work for rainless!

I think the date may be off on that christmas gift that you received ;)

I'm not sure the damned thing really works! :p

*whoops! Just figured out how to set it!

As for the mouse... I'm actually going to have to READ THE MANUAL... Because I have NO IDEA how to use it! ahahahahha!

I don't even know what the clearly-labeled buttons do!

From the endurance term, the MX 518 is one of the stuff with highest building experience (almost legendary in that spec) and it comes with a 3 year warranty, thats rare. Actually i would only get Logitech stuff, when it comes to gaming mouses, they simply are most experienced with and you feel it. But the G5 is really to expensive for what its able to deliver. The MX518 is the best price to power ratio by far, thats still the case after so many years.

There are just a few things that I would like to comment on about this post... (and as Team Rainless I must.)

1. I have never... in my entire life... had a mouse die on me. We're talking more than a few DECADES... old wreckless computers in the 80's... never had a mouse die. I can't even conceive of a mouse dying let alone own one. Then again I'm not particularly heavy-handed. I know there are some pretty big guys on this site with heavy hands... I'm neither.

2. Rare though the MX518 warranty may be... the G500 shares the exact same 3 year warranty. I can't imagine the G500 dying on me for the exact same stated reason that... I just couldn't imagine ANY mouse dying on me. Let alone one as well built as this.

3. The MX518 was actually more expensive than the G500. They wanted 58 euros for the G500 when I first saw it (about 65 bucks). When I went to pick up my external hard drive case they only wanted 41 euros (about 48 bucks.) Cheapest amazon had the MX518 listed for was 53... then I would've had to have waited for someone to mail it to me.

Other than that, thanks for the information and the warning against wireless mice.

I don't know if it's the mouse or just more practice, but my kill count is FIVE TIMES hire than it was before I got the mouse. (Also found out I had been playing at 800dpi because I pressed the button once and forgot to change it. Whoops!) Switched it to 2000 dpi and started plugging people. Now I'm about to try 5700 dpi!

1. I have never... in my entire life... had a mouse die on me. We're talking more than a few DECADES... old wreckless computers in the 80's... never had a mouse die. I can't even conceive of a mouse dying let alone own one. Then again I'm not particularly heavy-handed. I know there are some pretty big guys on this site with heavy hands... I'm neither.

My sentiments exactly. I know people who have broken mice before, but I don't see of a reasonable way of doing it through normal use (clicking excessively is fine, ie. what you do in MOBA/RTS games). But apparently it happens.

What games are you into rainless?
I've had a couple of mice malfunction but not up and die..

Some "broken" mice I've seen just have a finicky left-click, others don't like to track well with fast movements (though that's more a limitation of a crappy sensor). Others have annoying scroll wheels that don't scroll correctly (in the opposite/only one direction, etc). I've never really seen any mice that just stopped turning on or working...well, except for one I found at the trash pile for work. Turned out to just turn on/off at random, narrowed the problem down to a kinked/broken wire inside the USB cable, so I took the thing apart and just chopped an inch off the cable coming out of the mouse and spliced the wires, good as new!

I've used three MX518s for home, work and laptop for years. My oldest one is still going strong.

I use a G9x. I'm happy with it.. but I wouldn't pay for it again. I'd go for something simpler and sleeker. (as long as it's laster, has a good scroll wheel, and has DPI swap I don't mind).

So another G500 recommendation here. I said M60 more as a joke.. Though it's a nice mouse. Alternatively; if you want to spend more for something more funky.. A Saitek RAT 7 is an option.. lol
is there something wrong with the Corsair M60?
i reckon it looks sexy!
currently have an old school Logitech G3. it's like a stripped down G5 without all the weights, dpi lights, etc...:santa:

The Mouse Mouse!

Seriously though, I love my G700. Had the MX Revolution previously and just had to get a mouse with the same type of scroll wheel, and I wanted something gaming oriented. The G700 was it, being a cross of the MX Revolution and one of thier gaming mice (I forgot the other). Lots of easily programmable buttons, up to 3 profiles that can be saved internally on the mouse (no need for Logitech drivers to be installed if you use it on a different PC), the ergos are great, including button placement, can be used wired or wireless, and best of all, no proprietary battery as it uses a single standard AA sized rechargeable (Ni-MH) battery.

Mouse Trap

Decisions, decisions...

I own three Logitech G9x's and love each one. Accidentally spilled some Coke on my main mouse and got a little inside the wheel axle, now the wheel's tight...gonna have to make a swap here soon. Anyway, I love the weights, the external housings you can swap out, and the matching/changeable LEDs are great. No complaints here about this mouse.

Own the Rat7 but never hooked it up as I was waiting for my new system to use it. Needless to say, it's been sitting off to the side looking at me day after day waiting to be abused.

Sigh...one day...

Last edited:
I love, love, LOVE my new G500!

I said earlier that my average kills used to be 3-6 and now it´s more than twice that. But NOW i´ve got more than twice that in Sniper kills!

Dropping the DPI down to 200 really works!

I haven´t had this much fun playing as a sniper in YEARS!

I´m ridiculously happy with the mouse...

Congrats!!!

I have G500 and love it. It is my back up for the.... wait for it.... G700.

I highly recommend both.

Congrats!!!

I have G500 and love it. It is my back up for the.... wait for it.... G700.

I highly recommend both.

At this point all I have to do is read the manual. :D

The "Q" button does all this stuff that I have no idea...

I also have no idea how picking up ammo works and I don't know what the Sniper's radio beacon does.

Basically I don't know ANYTHING about the game besides shooting people.

Back