• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"System" process pegging entire cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Roisen

The every couple of minutes the System process pegs an entire core of my CPU for ten to twenty seconds. This seems to correspond with a high latency in my internet connection.

I have no idea how to view what is doing this to give more information, so if there are any programs I can run to give more information about this let me know!

You could use Perfmon to see what it is waiting for. This is extremely configurable.

I would check disk health first and disable any programs/services that are not needed.

with what you describe is happening, (1 core pegged out, sudden massive internet lag), my gut reaction is that you have some sort of malware (could be anything from an ad-zombie to a ddos-zombie doing it's 'mission').

My gut reaction may end up being totally wrong, but those are classic symptoms of a malware infection doing it's job trying to spread itself or use your connection to help the writer do his job from as many computers as possible (like the ddos-zombie possibility i mentioned).

Back