• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low performance with 5750 and audio issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Roisen

My friend just upgraded his GPU and installed windows 7, and is having problems as detailed below

11:33 PM - Charlie Kelly: Cat Enthuisast: Are you getting blue screens, crashes to desktop, or "this program has stopped responding"
11:39 PM - Cheez Mastah: none of the above. so here the deal. a couple weeks ago i upgraded my GPU, XP to Win7 and added a HDD. ever since then all of my games have been getting craaaaazy bad framerates, would have really weird digitized sounds, or would have periods of time where the game would just stop pretty much for many seconds and then would play for a while then would do it again. ive tried updating drivers, reinstalled games, even just upgraded my MOBO BIOS today. and the thing is it happens on both of my HDD, the one i still run XP from and my new one with Win7
11:39 PM - Charlie Kelly: Cat Enthuisast: what are your old and new GPUs?
11:40 PM - Cheez Mastah: i used to have an XFX nVidia GeForce 7950 GT. now its an XFX Raedon 5750
11:42 PM - Charlie Kelly: Cat Enthuisast: Did you use the nVidia with win7 and then swap it out for the ATI? Or Did you have the ATI installed when you installed win7?
11:44 PM - Cheez Mastah: ive already removed all of the old nvidia drivers, that was one of the first things we tried. i already had my ATI installed before i installed Win7.
11:44 PM - Charlie Kelly: Cat Enthuisast: And does this only happen with Source games (tf2, CS:S, L4D2)
11:45 PM - Cheez Mastah: nope, all of them. crysis, mass effect, TF2, L4D2, Bad Company 2, Portal, you name it and so far it has had some sort of problem
11:45 PM - Charlie Kelly: Cat Enthuisast: ouch. if it was just source games I was going to say welcome to the club lol
11:46 PM - Cheez Mastah: and now you know why i want to murder something
11:46 PM - Charlie Kelly: Cat Enthuisast: well we can rule out the hard drive being the cause, because it just wouldn't cause this
11:47 PM - Charlie Kelly: Cat Enthuisast: you say that it's happening both in windows 7 and XP now?
11:47 PM - Cheez Mastah: right. plus its doing it on both hard drives which run separately
11:47 PM - Charlie Kelly: Cat Enthuisast: which should rule out win7 being the cause, which leave the GPU
11:53 PM - Charlie Kelly: Cat Enthuisast: does the card have HDMI ports or optical audio out?
11:54 PM - Cheez Mastah: i know it has HDMI at least
11:57 PM - Charlie Kelly: Cat Enthuisast: Are you using that for audio or onboard or a dedicated audio card?
11:58 PM - Cheez Mastah: should be using onboard audio

Essentially poor graphical performance and distorted audio. I think the issue is related to the 5750 screwing with his audio somehow.

Because he's having these problems on both his established XP installation and on his new win7 installation on a separate hard drive I think it's safe to assume that the Catalyst drivers are interfering with his other hardware somehow.

idk. Looking for ideas!

Back