• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE AMD Launches R9 290 Series Graphics Cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Well, we'd like to tell you we have a review today, but AMD says pre-launch samples were tight and was unable to procure one for us. They have iterated they will get us one post-launch though, so we'll bring you a full review as soon as we're able. In addition to the fact that they were unable to seed one, we have it on good authority that multiple US offices of board partners (big ones) hadn't even held one of these in their hands as of late last week.
... Return to article to continue reading.

It's a shame you guys (hokie) didn't get one in for review, but a well written article as always. I anxiously await the performance numbers :)

Anandtech review:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7457/the-radeon-r9-290x-review

Double edit:

Price is $550 for the 290X and you can get it here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150675
for $579 with BF4 bundled.

After reading the reviews the performance is fantastic, but the noise looks like it could be an issue. I may wait for aftermarket coolers and get one, and then maybe Arctic will be nice enough to ship me a cooler for review :)

Last edited:
The price looks good. I didn't expect them to be priced that low. I am very tempted.

Hehe; great card!

Maybe time to make the move again...

Edit: I've been pessimistic about the price in Europe. €530, it a steal! But I'll pass, unless there is a way to overclock the card properly. It seems that it gives all it guts @stock already.

Last edited:
I can't believe it. And here I thought that it "didn't exist"... :shrug:

:chair: :D

It's a shame you guys (hokie) didn't get one in for review, but a well written article as always. I anxiously await the performance numbers :)

Anandtech review:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7457/the-radeon-r9-290x-review

Double edit:

Price is $550 for the 290X and you can get it here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150675
for $579 with BF4 bundled.

After reading the reviews the performance is fantastic, but the noise looks like it could be an issue. I may wait for aftermarket coolers and get one, and then maybe Arctic will be nice enough to ship me a cooler for review :)
Wooooooooooooooow... way lower than I thought... Damn!

As performance and that Anand review...seems to lack a bit at a 'lower' res (1080p) compared to the 780 in some titles (BF3 to name one).

Last edited:
I can't believe it. And here I thought that it "didn't exist"... :shrug:

:chair: :D

Wooooooooooooooow... way lower than I thought... Damn!

As performance and that Anand review...seems to lack a bit at a 'lower' res (1080p) compared to the 780 in some titles (BF3 to name one).

I noticed that as well. I thought that was strange. The only thing I can say to that is, this card is not really for people who are just playing at 1080. But seeing this card priced at this level makes me want to wait on seeing what the 290 comes out at.

Agreed, not for 1080p..

At 2560x1440, where I am at, that gap widens, but this card really seems to show its mettle at 4k, partially due to its vram bandwidth and amount over the 780.

Agreed, not for 1080p..

At 2560x1440, where I am at, that gap widens, but this card really seems to show its mettle at 4k, partially due to its vram bandwidth and amount over the 780.

Hence AMD's strong push for 4K with this launch. Too bad the only 4K monitor on the egg is $3500...

IMO, that was an incredibly premature push. I mean, make a mention of it, certainly, but to push this out when pricing for QUALITY 4K panels are so expensive... that just doesn't tickle me in the right places.

man the 290x and the titan really trade blows! crazy did i see a $550 price tag?

I saw an AIB card, forget which, mentioned on Guru3d at $575 with a lump of cooling attached.

Overall this looks to me like a wish list item, sooner rather than later. 4k, so what, get the card, enjoy, save up for 4k. Maybe by then there'll be an HD 590X out, who knows. But I'm of the mind that this thing can Fold....:D

So it's not out of the question to see a R9 290 at $499 or $449 is it?

yea i would expect that on the first time these go on sale.

with the 7970s it was roughly 2 months after release i saw them down to below 500.

yea i would expect that on the first time these go on sale.

with the 7970s it was roughly 2 months after release i saw them down to below 500.

I just want to clarify and make sure I am not confusing myself. When I refer to the R9 290 I am talking about a completely separate card from the 290x at the $549 price point. AMD is still releasing two separate cards, 290 and 290x, correct?

Back