• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE MSI R7870 Hawk Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Well, it's been a couple of months since AMD has released their new lineup of 7 series GPU's. Top to bottom is now out essentially, so its time for their partners to start churning out their own versions of these cards to see if they can put something out even better than what AMD has brought to the table. Among others, MSI has stepped to the plate and done so with their R7870 HAWK. Let's see what changes were made and how they improved the card.

... Return to article to continue reading.

What an Awesome thing, had i seen this review before, i would have bought it instead of the one i ended up with.

I think its definitely the better card.

Good review, thanks :)

Thanks!

I cant believe the lack of chatter on this card.. people jumped on the 680 though...

I am jumping all over this like a fat kid on a cupcake! I have never OC my GPU but seeing these numbers I believe I will this time around.

Gem yes, but available? Barely.

Guess i may get one of them for my next quality PC-V354 chassis. Paired with a ??? board and a AX1200i. Hopefully one of the most reliable PCs ever made. I wont OC, a 7870 is giving me enough of performance for any 1080P games and other stuff. If i need more power i can still build a CF setup. Although i dont like AMD cards a lot because of theyr inferior drivers, there is simply no true gem in the Nvidia house such as that one. Because my demand is not raw performance, its "raw quality".

The PCB design surely looks very clean and proper, and made with great quality parts. For a price of currently 340 $ in my country (which is lesser than i had to pay for my 7870 DCII, 2 months ago) it seems to be a great deal.
http://www.overclockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/cardnaked2.png

Unfortunately MSIs "military class" brand is not failproof and still not a granted "long lasting", which can be seen on the Newegg "military class" board: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130623 Im not sure if it even would deserve the name, other almost no name boards had lesser negative feedbacks.

However, according to the review regarding the "military class" GPU, that one could finally be a great piece.

Last edited:
Pulled the trigger. Should arive in a few days. As soon as I can I will post my OC results.

I got my card today for my second system. Since my old system died another time, i changed to another board and decided to sell the old 6950 so i can use the Hawk 7870 on my HTPC (and backup gamer PC), since its a way better card. I dont care its power, i got it for quality reasons. I will not underclock however because thats pointless. It will downclock and undervolt itself at low load and may achieve a very high life expectation when the temps are very cool.

Now when i look at that massive and really sturdy card, with a metal backplate attached it surely feels impressive. It even got a card cover which is made with metal instead of plastic which is certainly a good sign of quality. At the back the already well known GPU reactor, that is not important to me but i wont remove since its main purpose is to provide more clean power so its even useful when used for HTPC purpose. Dont even need to remove the cooler in order to be able to gaze at the golden choke. I guess there surely is many outstanding pieces inside which is a good sign for high endurability and stability.

Finally the test of time will show me the truth but i rarely had a card dying on me (if so, the card was defective right out of the box, which is a manufacturing failure). The MB or PSU is more prone to failures. Its still a good feeling when a card might be made of great quality, which is pretty certain. However, i suggest to use some sort of GPU holder when the card is horizontally mounted, because it might "only" be a mid range GPU but its a pretty heavy card which does just barely fit inside 2 slots and only when the reactor is removed. ;)

Last edited:
Back