• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3770K Problem! (Asus UEFI)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kung Pow

Registered
Hi guys!

I am working with a Maximus V Formula and a 3770K.

For two weeks I have been overclocking and benching the CPU now at about 4.8GHZ.

My problem is, that I would like to turn off Turbo and EIST(Speed stepping) in order for the frequency to stay at its overclocked value at any time, instead of fluctuating and turning up/down in order to save power.

For example, the normal Idle frequency it clocks down to in order to save power is 1.6GHZ, and only when under load it will run up to my OC of 4.8GHZ.
Now when I run a benchmark, the first couple of seconds it operates at the power saving frequency before it ramps up to my OC.

How can I turn off Turbo and EIST in order to prevent this and have my OC applied 24/7 without any frequency alternation according to load in order to save power?

I have seen it being done on MSI and Gigabyte boards, but can´t seem to be able to do it here.

should be in the eufi under advanced > cpu configuration > cpu power management configuration

In addition to EIST and Turbo, disable C1E, C3 and C6 Reports, and Package C-State Support. And you may also need to disable Slow Mode.

It is very unusual, because on any other board you are able to directly disable Turbo.

Only on the ASUS EUFI you cannot turn off Turbo.
Why is that?
Or have I missed something?

On some boards, not sure if your Asus needs it, but Turbo needs to be enabled to overclock in the first place. I would follow the guide I linked and Redduc's advice.

Thanks guys.

I have read through the guide, and pretty much knew almost all of the settings anyway.

@Reducc: Turbo cannot be turned off, the drop menu remains static and doesn´t even give the option of disabling it.

@wagex:
CPU Power Management:
Takes us to a sub-menu that allows configuration of non-Turbo ratio CPU multipliers as well as set power thresholds for Turbo multipliers. Information is provided within UEFI with regards to the usage of each option.

Could be that though?

not sure i dont use the board i just googled it so i could be wrong.

Is there a ROG Z77 owner that could help?
Need to find a way to turn off the turbo in order for the frequency to stop fluctuating or be dependant on load.
I want a clock that remains the same constantly, regardless of load or power draw on my Maximus V Formula.

As a note, while it does take the CPU a bit of time to go from 1.6GHz power saving to full blast OC'd, the time is measured in nanoseconds to microseconds. CPUz lags far behind reality as it only polls the various bits every second or four.

If you compare benchmark results with all the power saving stuff turned off vs it enabled, they're essentially identical.
Now windows power saving stuff isn't as responsive, turning that off is a good idea for a desktop box.

So it really is true, that on the ROG Z77 series of boards the turbo cannot be disabled?
And a steady uninfluenced clock is basically impossible to be achieved.

Bummer, would have never bought that board if I had known.

And what Windows Power Saving options would you be referring to?
I only know Balanced and Power Saving Mode, is there anything else?

And a steady uninfluenced clock is basically impossible to be achieved.
What? No.. read our posts!

And what Windows Power Saving options would you be referring to?
I only know Balanced and Power Saving Mode, is there anything else?
Isnt there a "High Performance" or "always on" option?

Last edited:
Yes I have tried everything you guys have suggested!

Reducc advised to turn off turbo, but that cannot be done unfortunately.

Anything else has been turned off and disabled, but the clock is still set at 1.6GHZ at Idle and only ramps up to my applied 4.8GHZ under load.

I have rifled through the whole power management settings, but nowhere can the Turbo be disabled or a non Turbo frequency be set as stated in the ROG guide.

but nowhere can the Turbo be disabled or a non Turbo frequency be set as stated in the ROG guide.
Weird how its in the guide and you dont see it... perhaps update your bios? Or maybe if you are updated, that option went away? I read the guide and it mentions speedstep, do you see that anywhere (may be EIST - I always get those confused). Perhaps change the multiplier value NOT in the turbo section but the other section that has a multi value?

Thing is, I see plenty of screenshots on that board with it holding a clockspeed so its there...the option to make it happen is there, we are just missing it, apparently. :(

Well that's the way it goes sometimes, nice to be of help to you bye for now. AJ

Back