• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a block, need advise!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShrimpBrime

~MadHatDeLidder~
I've been looking to redo my entire build into a new case, a larger case with plenty of room.

Going to be running some liquid cooling and would like advise on a really good water block.

I'm not afraid to spend some decent moneys on serious cooling. I've got multiple water blocks from the past and they have been Great through the years, but with the new case, I want the look of a new waterblock.

I need something that'll handle ANY kind of heat I throw at it. I like the gold color, but isn't a must.

Have you purchased a newer block lately? what are your experiences with it. Is cleaning the block difficult, mounting barb placement ect.

I've been eyeballing the heat killer. Really looks tough, read good stuff about it, but very interested in shopping around.

Don't be shy to take a pic of your block for me fo better understandings. I really need to make a choice.

Also must work for i7 3770K likely won't buy into a 4770K any time soon having plenty of horse power at 4.7ghz+ daily. Just wanna keep the ***** cool know what I mean??

Thanks in advance!

Brime

There are more than 15 watercooling reviews that matter on the net. Guess you's rather make a long post than look at the math.

Xtreme Forums has one you might want to look at.

Nice post, get to work, learn and read.

Given how close in performance all the top blocks are I prefer the swiftech mounting system since it makes for a perfect and repeatable mount every time.

I think this is the link to the thread that Conumdrum mentions. CPU Water-block testing is from 2012 and the tester is Stren: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?282245-Stren-s-2012-CPU-Water-Block-Roundup. Here is the same testing at strens website: http://www.xtremerigs.net/reviews/water-cooling/2012-cpu-water-block-roundup/

And here is Martin's recent testing: http://martinsliquidlab.org/category/blocks/. The Heatkiller is a fine block but not the only one. Let us know if you have questions. Good luck. :)

Oh great thanks for the links!! Sorry I'm not a XtremeSystems reader. I have limited time and have to hand pick which sites I like and this OCF, happened to be one of mainly 3 OC sites I visit.

The blocks I think look to suit my needs are as follows besides the HeatKiller.

EK Supreme HF Rev 4

XSPC Raystorm Full Copper

Danger Den M6

Any one have personal experience with any of these?

How about modifications inside or outside of the waterblock?

What types of barbs do you guys prefer? Compression?

Should I split my loop from the Gpu? Currently in loop, kinda thinking I should run two loops.

I run Cooler Master coolant and 50% alcohol. It works great for me, will this be an issue with any of the 4 water blocks I have listed?

May as well ask about radiators too. I should replace mine I guess to do this right....Currently running 2 swiftech 120.2's.

My case is a SilverStone TJ07 Linky NP. http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=92

Plenty of room, plenty of time for planning. Just need some ideas.

Got some questions about lighting up the tubing from inside. I thought this would be a neat idea with some low watt LED strips or something. Thoughts?

What no opinions here??

Eek.

starting to grow on me.... XSPC Raystorm Full Copper

Hmm. I think I likey this one.

What no opinions here??

Eek.

starting to grow on me.... XSPC Raystorm Full Copper

Hmm. I think I likey this one.

Its all personal preference. I like Swiftechs Apogee HD.

The XSPC Raystorm came out of no where and brought the competition to those 4. It's a great choice and is nicely priced.

My top choices over the years would be from Swiftech, Koolance, Heat Killer, EK and now XSPC. There's a few more but I know these 4 have been making blocks for years and have been top of the charts back and forth between themselves. .05c-1c difference if I recall in the reviews.

Nonetheless the block you picked is just fine.

Grab some good paste. Thermal Paste Roundup 2013

So in a nut shell, it's price and appearance over the cooling capability.

1c yea... I get the point. Uhg. You'd think there'd be a bigger difference than that. 1c is like margin off error......

I currently am using Antec Formula 6/7 thermal paste. I didn't see it on the list :( lol

The Raystorm tests fine but I have not used it personally.

A search for Antec Formula 7 showed this test from Hardware Secrets. The authors suspect a +/- 2°C margin of error. The Formula 7 tested nearly the same as the popular Arctic Cooling MX-4 so that may provide some reassurance.

Swiftech for the best mounting mechanism
Koolance for the best allround performing block
Aquacomputer Cuplex Kryos Sterling Silver for bragging rights :)
XSPC Raystorm for coming out of the left field and surprising everybody

Back