• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Plastic/Glue is melting in my HX650, again!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lunacinense

Registered
The first time this happened, it crept up on me as if it were the Grim Reaper's Scythe! Quite literally the emissions from this event were killing me. I RMA'd the first one and was immediately approved for a brand new unit. What are the chances that this is a unit flaw? Is there simply not enough airflow for the PSU? My current rig is in my sig and I'm finding it hard to believe it's due to internal temperatures.

That PSU shouldnt even be breaking a sweat... Looking at your case, it looks like it is elevated a couple of inches above the floor/carpet allowing for airflow? Is the fan spinning with any load? Does the PSU feel warm to the touch when you smell whatever you are smelling?

Actually, there is no noticeable odors and the PSU was cool to the touch the last time I checked. I know the fan is operational, but I'm going to do a quick test run.

There's a yellow strip that's run down the cylinder in the PSU that wasn't there before. The PSU is full of yellow colored glue.

I realize this isn't much go off of, I just need to somehow track down the source of what's causing this. It doesn't make sense for anything to be melting in the PSU, since the vented air is not even warm, but nevertheless something IS giving off toxic fumes in there. I can take the PSU out and hold it near me and get high for christ sakes! And it wasn't like this when I recieved it.

Last edited:
Was the strip there before? You have before after pics? Cylinder.... Meaning capacitor?

They use hot glue to secure stuff when the PSU is made, is that what you're seeing?

Some old Antecs had the infamous "hot varnish" issue due to a badly designed "smart" fan.

Check your case ventilation. Pressurizing the case or mounting a more powerful fan over the existing one in the PSU can improve cooling without voiding the warranty.

Was the strip there before? You have before after pics? Cylinder.... Meaning capacitor?

They use hot glue to secure stuff when the PSU is made, is that what you're seeing?

I don't have any pics of what it was like before but glue has indeed run down the capacitor (as you say, I don't know much about PSUs :p).

Some old Antecs had the infamous "hot varnish" issue due to a badly designed "smart" fan.

Check your case ventilation. Pressurizing the case or mounting a more powerful fan over the existing one in the PSU can improve cooling without voiding the warranty.

Ventilation appears to be fine. I would like to mount another fan, but the PSU get its air from underneath the case. The air coming out is cool. I don't get it, :bang head.

Well, I will say this, while cool air -is- coming out of the PSU, the flow is very weak. I'll submit some pictures tomorrow. Thanks for the continued assistance all :).

Back