• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Battlefield Vietnam

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twEEkerAreUs

Wow, I'm shocked no one else has made a thread yet or is pumped about the game? I picked it up today from "Connections at a gamestore :D" and I will honestly say this game blows away Battlefield 1942 damn near out of the box. The only complaint I have is the voting system which was implented in the 1.6 patch for BF1942 isn't in here or at least there are no signs of it.

You have to type the commands I am taking it which is ANNOYING. Other then that this game is amazing. My best bet is a patch will be released not long after March 15th to address the Voting thing I hope. I've heard the graphics engine was rewritten or something along those lines which sure looks like it. So for all the users with lower end computers, your going to take quite a hit in performance which really does suck. Anyhow, is there going to be an Overclockers Clan for this game or does someone want to start one?

AAAHHH.... mucho thanks for the info/review !!!

Was kind wondering when all the loyal BF1942 fans were going to pop-up and say a few words about BV .

Thx for the input ! I feel a need to $buy$ now !!! :cool:

*edited*
OH... and the clan thingy you asked about ; we already have one started HERE or check out the "sticky thread" for BF1942 clan try-outsHERE ;)

Last edited:
Dude.....damn your lucky, what kind of connections do you have?

I'm betting it won't be in stores near me until tuesday afternoon.....I'll have to wait:(

How are the choppers? They were supposed to have a new flight engine written....one which will likely end up in the next DC update.

How are the Graphics?. The screens I've seen don't look that great. Are they a lot better that BF 1942? or, about the same?

Also is this a stand alone game or is it an addition to BF1942. That is, can you open the game menu and choose from all the BF games or can you only play Vietnam when loaded

invisible hand said:
Dude.....damn your lucky, what kind of connections do you have?

I'm betting it won't be in stores near me until tuesday afternoon.....I'll have to wait:(

How are the choppers? They were supposed to have a new flight engine written....one which will likely end up in the next DC update.

How are the Graphics?. The screens I've seen don't look that great. Are they a lot better that BF 1942? or, about the same?

Also is this a stand alone game or is it an addition to BF1942. That is, can you open the game menu and choose from all the BF games or can you only play Vietnam when loaded
The graphics are much like the original battlefield 1942, perhaps slightly better.

BF: Vietnam comes with its own GUI, it's supposed to be an add-on, but I installed standalone and it worked fine. But I would say it's more on a add-on since there are no campaign mode. (And the AI are getting better)

Alright well since I have it, I can post some screen shots up for you guys to get you pumped up Haha. I got it early because I have a friend who works at a videogame store and they got a ton of pre orders and there shipment came in early. So I snagged one "Shhhhh". By the way every single vehicle in the game has a Radio in it and you can play 60's music or use your own MP3's. Everyone can hear it playing too in the game LOL.

The choppers are much easier to handel then DC "Personal Opinion" Semi similar to planes, but the physics are a lot more touchy. If you can fly the helicopters in DC then you should be able to master it in BF Vietnam in mins. If you haven't played DC then the curve is a lot easier for newer people. I've never really played DC and I can already fly pretty well.

They are MUCH better then BF1942 and a lot more realism was added in. Smoke, Dirt and debre fly up, Etc.

This is a STAND Alone game, not an expansion. It is a different graphic engines so it isn't compatable with BF1942. Which means we need all the modders out there to recreate it on here.

*ATTENTION, PAGE NOW HAS PICS ON IT. ENJOY!!!*

http://home.comcast.net/~loudspeakermusic

Last edited:
A friend of mine also got his copy earlier. I was testing it out, and the chopper physics are pretty good, much easier than DC choppers.

One interesting thing I noticed however, in the readme file, it states that the game wont work properly with an ATI R9800Pro. Something about it doesn't support the hardware - I tried it out on my machine and I was getting graphically errors left and right. They better patch it soon :mad:

I'm done posting up stuff, Tossed the site together an hour Lol. Hope it gives you a feeling of how cool the game is.

http://home.comcast.net/~loudspeakermusic

As for the videocard this is what it says in the readme file. I own a ATI Radeon 9700 and have it set to Application Preferences in the 3D Tab with zero problems. If I adjust them manually I get graphically abnormal problems. Hopefully they patch it, So I can make the game look even better.

ATI 9800 PRO

Battlefield does not support some of the hardware features of the ATI 9800. If you experience strange graphical anomalies with this card, exit Battlefield Vietnam and bring up the display properties on your desktop. Click on Settings -> Advanced -> 3D. In the 3D settings for Direct3D make sure the "Use custom settings" box is not checked. If it is, make sure the "Application Preference" checkboxes for anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering are turned on.

Thx for all the goodies you posted for us

Hey no problem man, I always have plenty of time on Sunday's :p

If anyone else has any questions I'll be glad to answer them.

I haven't picked it up yet, but I have read a few other reviews out there with people having alot of sound issues. Like you can't hear enemy fire, only the pitpatpitpat sound of bullets hitting near you, and supposedly ricocheting bullets sounding weird no matter what surface they bounce off of. Are you experiencing any of that?

That is odd Aktunka, If anything I think the sound sounds much better then BF1942. Before in BF1942 I would seem to get this crackling sound with vehicles "Slight" but still noticeable. I haven't had it happen yet in BFVietnam and going through the sound section lists "2D Miles Sound, EAX 1/2/3, Etc" so it has more then one sound format you can choose. I have a feeling that the issues arise from different soundcards or a faulty driver? May be the game too not 100% sure.

Gameplay out of the box is very solid. While Single Player is lacking just like BF1942, Multiplayer is the reason to pick it up. The plus side is that the AI is a little better then BF1942. The maps on the other hand are amazing. They seem to have a lot more accessable points like "Buildings, Ways to get to flags, Etc" Really it feels like an overhaul upgrade from BF1942.

*EDIT, Multiplayer Accuracy is MUCH MUCH better in BF Vietnam, Usually the first to draw or shoot will kill the other person first* So everyone that was whining about BF1942 and how you could unload 2 clips seems to be fixed this time around*

Last edited:
Back