• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which manufacturer of 6800GS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BC|Wulf

Since they are no longer selling any of the other 6800 series in AGP, my only choice is the new 6800GS.

Now the question is which manufacturer is going to have the best ones in terms of overclocking and unlocking the pipes?

Thanks in advance.

From what I could find these are the companies that are making them:

eVGA
XfX
Albatron

THe only one at newegg right now is the XfX version.

XFX is the highest clocked (485/1100), I have one and I'm very pleased with it. eVGA is a good company, honestly I dont know about Albatron as much...

Quote: twoeyes said...
XFX is the highest clocked (485/1100), I have one and I'm very pleased with it. eVGA is a good company, honestly I dont know about Albatron as much...

This data is for the PCI-E version of the card... I think that BC|Wulf is referring to the AGP version...

I would go with the XFX version (agp) or maybe wait for the BFG version... supposed to be coming soon. I think I will wait for the BFG for myself, anyways... my fav Cdn Etailer has the EVGA in stock, BFG on the way, but wil not be getting the XFX.

Cheers.

XFX would be what I suggest. They are becoming the "poor man's BFG" comming out of the box overclocked with a warrenty, and they don't cost any more than a "stock" clocked version that other companies may sell. Just keep in mind with the 6800GS, the AGP version is clocked lower than the PCI-X flavor, some 75MHz slower. Getting the XFX version of the AGP makes up this defficit since it is overclocked, and the XFX PCI-X is faster yet. More or less this is the run down for clock speeds AFAIK.

XFX PCI-X -- 485MHz
XFX AGP -- 450MHz
other PCI-X -- 425MHz
other AGP -- 400MHz give ore take

also -- Newegg's listed specs for the XFX, AGP version is incorrect it should be a 450MHz core

Last edited:
eVGA is best, both the cards I've seen went from 425/1000 to 525+/1200+

XFX made good 6600gt's but i think personally from the results I seen first hand from xfx 6800's and xfx 7800, they are lackluster to say the least.

Leadtek is also great.

I did nto realize that BFG is going to make one. I have used BFG before and never had a problem, but my friend uses XfX and he loves his.

Thanks for the info!

Why do you hate threads like this crimedog?

because there are 1-3 threads a day asking what manufacturer's card they should get. only differences are clock speeds, includes, warranty (same as any other part). nothing against you in particular.

crimedog said:
because there are 1-3 threads a day asking what manufacturer's card they should get. only differences are clock speeds, includes, warranty (same as any other part). nothing against you in particular.

Thats what I figured, but I guess I am more curious if one manufacturer will overclock better than another.

The popular manufactors, eVGA, BFG, and XFX should all perform about the same. Technically, all 6800GS should OC the same because their made from the same reference cards. But just get the cheapest eVGA, BFG, or XFX one, they should all OC to the same speeds. From what I've seen, many people have gotten great speeds with eVGA.

my BFG 6800gt only did 410/1100 and it was 370/1000 out of the box.

my eVGA 6800gt did 450/1200 and it was 350/1000 out of the box...

my xfx 7800gtx did 490/1300 and it was 490/1300 out of the box ...

my eVGA 7800gtx does 520/1405 and it was 450/1200 out of the box...

Wow looks like eVGA overclocks the best, now I jsut have to wait for someone to get them in stock!

Thanks everyone!

BC|Wulf said:
Wow looks like eVGA overclocks the best, now I jsut have to wait for someone to get them in stock!

Thanks everyone!

you cant draw any conclusions from anything here. overclockability is complete luck of the draw.

crimedog said:
you cant draw any conclusions from anything here. overclockability is complete luck of the draw.

Absolutly, especially if you're judging from 4 cards, none of which are even a GS...

well look and see most of the best clocks are always from eVGA and Leadtek...

and I have had my hands on 2 eVGA 6800gs cards, for builds for friends, they both did 525+/1200+

unless your going to save a bundle of cash by going with another company it seems like a no brainer.

So, a 6800nu compared to a 6800GS: The GS can clock higher, but can you also unlock the extra pipes and shaders as you can in the 6800nu, or does it not have them there for the unlocking?

Back