• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone read about AMD's future APU's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mjw21a

It would appear this is much more than simply chucking graphics core and x86 cores onto the same chip. The way this reads to me is complete integration, using the GPU far more than we presently do.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/07/07/amd_graphics_core_next/

Worth taking a look at. I was waiting for Bulldozer, but seeing as my current rig is fast enough, I think I'll wait for this for my next upgrade instead.

I'm not aware of Intel or anyone else coming up with anything similar to this.

Actually Intel and Nvidia criticized AMD for doing somthing so far out in left field with there GPUs. Good for that maybe that will let AMD do something that will actually change computing as we know it. 2013 is a while away to wait though. Very exciting stuff going on in the tech world lately.

Perhaps this will have some bearing on the console market? AFAIK, NVIDIA are out of the console market for good. Neither Sony nor Nintendo will have anything to do with NVIDIA.

Actually Intel and Nvidia criticized AMD for doing somthing so far out in left field with there GPUs. Good for that maybe that will let AMD do something that will actually change computing as we know it. 2013 is a while away to wait though. Very exciting stuff going on in the tech world lately.

They would as they're not currently capable of doing something like this alone. The only way Intel could pull this off is to buy out nVidia, then maybe 3 years later they'd have something. Neither Intel nor nVidia individually have the combined knowledge and experience of developing CPU's and GPU's. Together they could do it, however Intels yet to buy nVidia out.

AMD doing this is probably the smartest thing they could do. They're never going to be able to compete directly with Intel on their own terms, much smarter to actually change the rules and create their own market. Thats what they're attempting to do here.

They have the potential to create a monopoly in this market parley because no one else has a comparable product. I expect we'll see these used extensively in super computers and Apple will possibly pick it up as well if the performance benefit is great enough. The big benefit Apple have here is they create both their hardware and software. OSX would be re-written to make use of it within a year or two.

Hey, don't have a go at me there as I'm quite anti Apple, having said that, their market share is enough that if AMD were to win them as a client they'd do significantly better than now financially. Once they're earning money (for a change) they'd be able to continue development and remain competitive (Once more, for a change).

The real danger of AMD going down this path is that if they do succeed in creating their own market, nobody else is offering anything to compete. That will mean higher prices for consumers. It really should be AMD criticizing Intel and nVidia for not trying something different. This has the potential to offer enormous performance boosts in those area's where x86 architecture has traditionally been weak.

That is pretty much what I have been saying on this topic for the last month or two. Interestingly enough I had a good chat with an old friend of mine last night. I was telling him a bit about fusion last week and he asked me about using the gpu cores for compute. After sending him that link last night we both decided that FUSION could be a really really good thing for computing. Of course this is dependent on AMD not botching this whole thing up(At least they finally got rid of that idiot CEO).

Actually, I said that "Intel doesnt stand a chance if this takes off, not without buying nVidia" his response was "I was about to say the same thing". I doubt that would happen though. Intel is becoming a dinosaur in the tech world IMO. Yes they still make the best x86 cpus, and most of their other microchips are of extremely high quality(in general not absolutely), but they just don't have the level of innovation they once did. Mostly I see them taking established tech and putting the Intel polish on it and selling it for a premium, its almost apple esque of them.

They would as they're not currently capable of doing something like this alone. The only way Intel could pull this off is to buy out nVidia, then maybe 3 years later they'd have something. Neither Intel nor nVidia individually have the combined knowledge and experience of developing CPU's and GPU's. Together they could do it, however Intels yet to buy nVidia out.

AMD doing this is probably the smartest thing they could do. They're never going to be able to compete directly with Intel on their own terms, much smarter to actually change the rules and create their own market. Thats what they're attempting to do here.

They have the potential to create a monopoly in this market parley because no one else has a comparable product. I expect we'll see these used extensively in super computers and Apple will possibly pick it up as well if the performance benefit is great enough. The big benefit Apple have here is they create both their hardware and software. OSX would be re-written to make use of it within a year or two.

Hey, don't have a go at me there as I'm quite anti Apple, having said that, their market share is enough that if AMD were to win them as a client they'd do significantly better than now financially. Once they're earning money (for a change) they'd be able to continue development and remain competitive (Once more, for a change).

The real danger of AMD going down this path is that if they do succeed in creating their own market, nobody else is offering anything to compete. That will mean higher prices for consumers. It really should be AMD criticizing Intel and nVidia for not trying something different. This has the potential to offer enormous performance boosts in those area's where x86 architecture has traditionally been weak.

Their last CEO was great for them and helped get AMD back on their feet. It was Hector Ruiz that nearly ran them into the ground. I feel sorry for Dirk Meyer, he should never have been shafted.

You're quite right, Intel no longer come up with new tech. They simply refine their existing tech and rely on their advantage in manufacturing. They're at least a year and a half ahead of everyone else when it comes to process tech, and nobody has their manufacturing capacity. I've often wondered how much more competitive. AMD would be if they ever caught up on process

Last edited:
Their last CEO was great for them and helped get AMD back on their feet. It was Hector Ruiz that nearly ran them into the ground. I feel sorry for Dirk Meyer, he should never have been shafted.

You're quite right, Intel no longer come up with new tech. They simply refine their existing tech and rely on their advantage in manufacturing. They're at least a year and a half ahead of everyone else when it comes to process tech, and nobody has their manufacturing capacity. I've often wondered how much more competitive. AMD would be if they ever caught up on process

That's why they started sourcing out their manufacturing and going back to the drawing board for development. A local Austin company manages their flash manufacturing while another company in Germany hosts their CPU production. AMD does CPU's and GPU's and flash memory. Intel does CPU's, motherboards, NIC's, flash memory, SSD's... AMD nor Intel can go anywhere. If one or the other died, that would stagnate the development of new technology even further. You'd need a team of developers from one company or the other, not using patented processes of their previous company -- essentially starting from scratch. That sounds incredibly painful after 30 years of development....:bang head

Either way, this gives great hope for AMD. :ty:

I think the APUs look pretty interesting. I'd love to give one a shot.

It's also nice to see awesome motherboards for this platform. ASUS is really picking it up, along with many others. It's also, again, nice to see EFI on an AMD platform as well.

I'm going to hold off for a little while before I consider trying it. It'd be pretty sweet if there's some awesome performance gains. Maybe I should catch up on my research about the APUs... Hmmm...

"Demers offers AMD's January 2011 HK-2207 demo – which, incidentally, was ridiculed by an Nvidia exec – as an example of this new thinking. "This demo uses GPU to do all the particle physics," he says. "It uses deferred lighting with G-Buffers, it does post-processing as a compute operation – it does very complex operations. And what is compute and what is graphics is blurred."

Lol. You gotta watch what you ridicule and criticize nowadays, it may turn back and punch you in the future :D

Wow.. A very interesting read. I've been out of the Tech loop for about a year now, so I'm just trying to get all read up. This sounds like it very well could be the next big thing if, in fact, AMD pulls it off. I agree that Intel doesn't really stand a chance if these APUs take off and find a niche in the computing world, especially if apple and console makers invest in this. Lets all hope that when these products do see the light of day, it will be a good one. However, 2013 *is* a bit away. Its possible that Intel is working on some sort of GPU/CPU chip as well (not referring to Sandy Bridge either)... Lets hope this is a breakthrough for AMD and the computing world in general!

So does anyone remember the old PS3 rumors that you could add full processors to it to future proof it and get better performance? What if these were true with these new APU's in the next gen consoles... *drool*

So does anyone remember the old PS3 rumors that you could add full processors to it to future proof it and get better performance? What if these were true with these new APU's in the next gen consoles... *drool*

I'm pretty sure you see the current generation of APU's in the next XBox.... The stuff this thread is about is the next gen which will be much more interesting on the PC platform. It's not just about integrated graphics, goes much deeper into blurring the lines between a CPU and GPU.... Should give a better all round performance boost than either GPU's or CPU's can currently give. :thup:

Erm, if you're still thinking "graphics" when reading that article, I think you're actually missing the point.

The idea is that the APUs gpu cores will be utilized for compute operations which should prove to be a massive bump to processing power. Allowing for discrete graphics to still do what they do best. Of course budget systems will not require a discrete card to be effective but its not the primary intent of the new designs.

Very nice read dolk. Way to chime in with even more good information.

Llano is the first gen tech..... Second gen will be truly exciting. I'm waiting for that before I upgrade again.

I think APU's are going to change the future of HTPCs/Media PCs. The thing I like about these new AMD APU's vs. Sandy Bridge is that they are one chip both GPU and CPU integrated, unlike Sandy Bridge where is two separate chips.

I give up, people still just focussing on GPU for video rather than compute.... I don't know how AMD's going to sell this, people don't appear to understand.

Back