• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sapphire Toxic Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 6GB worth the money?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MX5J6

I have been a fan of Nvidia cards for a long while but i have always noticed Radeon cards fighting and sometimes taking the top spot as well. I am in no way a fanboy I just want the best bang for my buck without spending over $1000 on a single card. Right now i am looking at the Galaxy GTX 680 4GB, so how does the Toxic 7970 compare? How good and stable is CrossFireX as compared to Nvidia SLI? I will be using dual GPU's and 3 monitors running at 2560x1440 120Hz in the future. So how would these two compare?

There's no need to go for a 6GB card unless you're running an ultra high resolution, so don't spend the premium unless the price difference is small.

The modern AMD cards Crossfire very well (whether or not the games will be able to make proper use of it is a different matter entirely).

The GTX680 should perform a bit better than the 7970 in most applications, but I would personally go AMD all the way because Nvidia cards are crap for Bitcoin mining, and you might as well mine when you're not gaming.

So if I wanted to just run a single monitor at 2560x1440 60-120Hz and want something that can rival or beat the DC2T 680 2GB which 7970 should I go with?

No single GPU card beats the 680.

We're just saying the price/performance ratio of a 7970 or 670 is better since they're a bit slower but $100 less.

Oh OK now I get it. Thanks for clearing that up.

I might really need something else because the dc2t 680 is now either unavailable or now its $100 more expensive.

Last edited:
So what is the best let's say 3GB 7970 I can get? I am not totally sure what the "best" entails so I'll leave that up to you to decide in your suggestions.

Best would be binned gpu with good cooler. I don't know which model though...

Do you know which are binned? Or is there a way to tell? Maybe I'll just have to try googling it.

That's fine. Thanks anyway.

I do have a quick DVI question. It seems all or most 7970's use DVI-I and the monitor I am getting is DVI-D, can I plug the D into the I connector?

I hope I got that right. DVI-I is the one with 4 dots and DVI-D is the one with the horizontal line, correct?

No single GPU card beats the 680.

Maybe if we're talking stock clocks. But overclocked, the 7970 is the champ.

@ OP

Just grab whatever card you can find the cheapest. It is pretty much luck of the draw to find a good clocking card (or buy a known overclocker 2nd hand)

Maybe if we're talking stock clocks. But overclocked, the 7970 is the champ.

@ OP

Just grab whatever card you can find the cheapest. It is pretty much luck of the draw to find a good clocking card (or buy a known overclocker 2nd hand)

Right... even at stock the GTX 680 is ~ 10% on the 7970, and the (single GPU Ghz edition) is right on it at least.

If the GTX 680 is now $100 more expensive its about $60 to expensive. I have not looked at prices in the US but in the UK that's about the case, the GTX 680 is significantly more expensive.

7970 is the better deal, put 10% on the 7970 clocks and bang,- GTX 680 has nothing on it

What about the 7970 vs the 670? Which is the better buy then?

7970 vs 670 is a bit of a tossup IMO. GTX670 draws a good amount less power and is just below a 7970. Gap tends to widen at above 1080P though, so I'd still stick with the 7970 in your case.

MSI Twin Frozr and ASUS DC2 are probably the best cards to get.

DVI-I is integrated, supports both DVI-D (digital) and DVI-A (analog).

The asus seems to have bad reviews and the msi is kind of pricey seeing as I have it down to around $1170 and the more I can save the better. But if I have to spend a little extra for noticeable performance I will.

Back