• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oh god what the hell is this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I had the same issue. Even at stock clocks I get gsod (grey screen of death) and the only way to completely fix my problem was roll back drivers to RC11. If you google gsod, there's are few of us having the same problem.

If TRIXX is keeping the volts to what you set them at under load and idle its probably not a bad thing, trust me.

I'm installing MSI Afterburner and installing TRIXX right now to see if it does the same for me, because i want it to

Right... TRIXX does indeed work better than MSI Afterburner, if i set higher volts those volts actually stick (with some horrendous vDroop) but never the less the load volts are increasing with my setting higher volts.

Yet still i can't overclock past 1200 Mhz, the driver still crashes even at 200mv above stock.

I think i have now concluded that my card has reached hardware limitations @ 1200Mhz. while i'm not exactly pleased with that i am now at least content knowing 1200Mhz is all its going to give me, at that it utterly mullures a GTX 580 and insn't far off a reference stock GTX 670 for £150 less! so....:p:p:p:p:p

So ive been doing some reading on vdroop on my card, turns out that the 7900 series, along with the 480/580 nvidia cards, have voltage chips that report actual voltage to gpu-z/afterburner rather than target voltage. So many people complained to the guy who writes afterburner about a "bug" with 480 voltages dropping that he just disabled the ability to see actual voltage for the gpu(on the 480), and instead went back to showing target voltage.

Apparently, most/all cards have had vdroop, but the software to track voltages usually just reports target voltage instead of actual voltage.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=357054

It all depends on the controller used. Aftermarket pubs may nit be using that voltage control chip.

Same thing with mine, stock 1.2v reports 1.188v, 1.25v reports 1.193v. in GPU-Z.

i don't know but i think GPU-Z is about as accurate as software can be, or it is at least reporting whats actually going on, it explains why i have to set such high initial volts to get a small amount extra on my overclock.

Again i don't know.... but my thinking is perhaps some cards have better voltage regulators that others. or better PCB's. on some of those the vDroop is perhaps less pronounced than it is on others and are getting more of those set volts to the GPU so they can hold higher clocks.

Perhaps it might be a good idea for MSI to encode something like user set LLC into Afterburner? (having said that on my card AB does not seem to work at all)

I have(had) a MSI HAWK with voltage read points, I have a GTX680 Lightning with voltage read points. GPUz is off. It is as accurate as software can be, sure. But it is off in all of my experiences measuring voltage on any card.

Again i don't know.... but my thinking is perhaps some cards have better voltage regulators that others. or better PCB's. on some of those the vDroop is perhaps less pronounced than it is on others and are getting more of those set volts to the GPU so they can hold higher clocks.
True. Some cards have a more robust power section. This helps with getting more clean and stable power to the GPU. This is nothing new.

Perhaps it might be a good idea for MSI to encode something like user set LLC into Afterburner? (having said that on my card AB does not seem to work at all)
It is what it is. I dont think that whopping .03v is going to net you anything however.

If TRIXX is keeping the volts to what you set them at under load and idle its probably not a bad thing, trust me.

I'm installing MSI Afterburner and installing TRIXX right now to see if it does the same for me, because i want it to

PS: don't use Furmark for any length of time, like some people. its ok as a short stability test but any more than that and there is a chance it could damage your card.

Well I see it as a problem that could be easily fixed... I mean why run at a higher voltage that can run the card at like 10x speed if all it does is cause heat and reduce the gpu's lifespan? not that it matters anyways, never had a card die on my for being too old, and I still have a PC build in 1995 that works PERFECTLY but just in case... I see that it modifies idle voltage to 1.125 and 3d mode voltage (I presume amd cards have performance profiles like the ones you can find in nvidia inspector) to 1.125 but in the 2d mode where the clocks are between the idle mode and the performance mode the voltage stays at 0.9v so I bet that this is clearly a bug. Well I shouldn't care too much, I've read that some 7850 some with stock voltages of nearly 1.2 so I think there are no problems here. My gpu's life should be long enough even with something like 1.25 i bet.
What an irony, when I had an asus card the asus overclocker told me "your card isn't made by asus" (wut?) and had to use msi and now when I have a MSI card I can't overclock too well on MSI afterburner and I have to use Sapphire's TriXX. Hope they fix it, but they could include an optional setting that lets you lock the voltage.

BTW, did you set board power li to +20 or power level or whatever your software calls it? It help me "un-throttle" my card after 1100mhz, if I don't set it that high it throttles itself and gets some pretty bad fps drops in games, and gpu usage drops to 63% (seems like this is the magic number for throttling). From what I've heard on google it just raises the limit of the over voltage protection. But I guess you already tried it i think, if you didn't turn it on it helped me a lot. Maybe it could help in your case?

I had the same issue. Even at stock clocks I get gsod (grey screen of death) and the only way to completely fix my problem was roll back drivers to RC11. If you google gsod, there's are few of us having the same problem.
Thanks, I'll look into it. If this happens again I'll try those fixes. Seems like Battlefield 3 has some bugs that gave me sort of a "gsod" today. My screen went white but I could get out of it by pressing alt tab, probably BF3 crashed and "stopped responding" so its window became white. But this happens lots of times especially when I alt tab (happened with old card too), man this is one buggy game.

Also, is it normal for the monitor sleep setting to reset in the power options in windows 7? I set it all the time to "never" and now i notice it resets to 20mins or something all the time. Kind of annoying when I turn off the display from the button myself then get scared when the monitor still remains black... made me think something happened to it numerous times.

Last edited:
Back