• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which i5, Sandybridge or Ivybridge

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

abarth_1200

Hi guys, looking at a new system build carrying over only my gpu, psu and SSD so new mobo ram and cpu.

Im looking at the 2500k and the 3570k as there isnt much of a difference in price, I read that the 2500k is a 95w cpu and the 3570k is only 77w is this the only difference other than the slight increase in clock speed?

while I am here are these the best 2 to be looking at for gaming and overclocking.

Any reccomendations on a good overclocking motherboard to suit?

thanks guys looking forward to hear your advice

IvyBrige is 3 to 5% faster than SandyBridge at a given clockspeed (IPC): [email protected]=4.6GHz [email protected].
IB has a 50% better/faster iGPU.
IB runs hotter than SB when OC'ed (due to TIM instead of soldering between die and IHS). Which means SBs usually OC higher than IB under "conventionnal" coolin (air/water).
Finally, IB supports PCIe3 and SB PCIe2 only (which makes no difference unless you xFire/SLI top end cards like 7950s/7970 or 670s/680s).
Both are great CPU's.

EDIT: unless you do extreme OC (LN2, DICE...), an Asrock z77 Extreme4 will take your cpu as far as it can go under air/water and has all the features most of us need.

+1 to the above. Given that they're about the same price, though, I would go with the Ivy Bridge, if for no other reason than resale value.

hmm nearly got me convinced to get the sandybridge but for i may as well just get the new while i can afford it. Ivy Bridge for me

I just read the review on the Asrock extreme 4, so nobody has any issues with then, all round good solid board. I think it looks pretty cool too.

thanks guys!

I'd personally say Z77 and IvyB 3570k. No sense in spending a slew of $$$ for last years technology. With Z77/IvyB you get the latest and greatest marketing who-ha, that may or may not be better; but it's NEW. assuming in the future you'll be adding a pci-e3.0 video card and some nice fast ddr3 (1600+) then the z77/IvyB combo is what'd i'd buy.

On a side note for the Asrock Z77 Extreme4: I have one, very pleased with it. I've overclocked my 3570k up to 5300mhz for fun and run daily at 4.4ghz on what i consider low voltage; additionally my video card is pretty decently OC'd and the board has no problems. So, for $120, not bad at all. :)

yep planning on keeping this one for future proofing so new video card next year some point.

Your rig sounds like something I would like but wont get the chance, maybe just the basics of yours.

Well depending on price the Extreme 4 or the 6, if the difference is say £10-15 pounds in Scotland then go for the 6! As for the CPU Totally agree with the other members, but you will need a good aftermarket cooler to cope with the extra heat. I will post you this OCF Review of the Asrock Extreme 4 and 6 Motherboards, so you can see and read what the difference is. AJ. ;) :thup:

1, http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=722124

i was hoping my coolermaster 212 would be up to the job, im sure i read other members with one, might get 2 new matching fans for a push pull config

Everyone seems to have pretty good success with the 212s and for the price, they are excellent. Since you already have one, definitely keep it.

I also really like my Extreme4.

The answer from my internet search is yes and more so if you up grade the fans. No problems to a overclock of 4.4 to 4.6! So do not worry. AJ.

Back