• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time doing a custom loop, thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brian430s

Registered
I'm planning my first custom loop. I've done a lot of research and believe I've got all the bases covered, but... I'm now reaching out to the experts. All advise and suggestions are appreciated.

This build has a heavy emphasis on aesthetics, but also needs to be functional.

The case will be a white Phanteks Enthoo Primo (once its released).
On order is an Asus rampage iv black motherboard, 64gb of Corsair Dominator Platinum memory sticks with light bar kits. And 2 GTX 780ti cards. And I'm off today to Microcenter to pick up a 4930K.

I'm planning 2 separate loops.

The CPU loop is XSPC D5 dual bay combo to an XSPC raystorm (already own both) to the thickest Alphacool 420 rad that will fit in the top then back to the res.

The GPU loop will be an XSPC a D5 photon res/pump combo (as long as it will fit) to a Alphacool 280 Monsta in the bottom to the thickest 240 that will fit in the front into parallel loops to XSPC razor GPU waterblocks back to the res.

All is going to be connected using rigid tubing painted to simulate either black chrome or a polished nickel finish. The will also be Aquacomputer USB flow meters in each loop. 1 in the CPU & 1 in each parallel GPU section. As well as provisions for draining each loop for maintenance.... Thoughts???

With that much rad you only need one loop, no need for two unless you're going for awesomeness, won't help a bit in cooling. Don't need flow meters at all. Unless your going for awesomeness.

Otherwise, your general ideas sound about right.

Thank you so much for your reply.

Awesomeness is very much the objective. The thought behind 2 loops is 1 is too long. Too much to ask from 1 pump. Though... you now have me thinking about 1 loop with the 1 res/pump in the middle. (still 2 res/pumps) I will also now consider deleting the flow meters. But here are my thoughts...

I'm not a fan of disassembling the loop and blocks to clean for maintenance. So I was going to use the monitors to tell me if my flow has slowed.

I already own the XSPC D5 dual bay res/pump and I really like the look of the cylinder type res. Plus I'm thinking if I did decide to make it as a single loop the flow would be better if the pumps were to be staggered. As mentioned before there is a slight emphasis on form over function. But it still needs to be fully functional. Strong believer that anything worth doing is worth over doing.

Thank you so much for your reply.

Awesomeness is very much the objective. The thought behind 2 loops is 1 is too long. Too much to ask from 1 pump. Though... you now have me thinking about 1 loop with the 1 res/pump in the middle. (still 2 res/pumps) I will also now consider deleting the flow meters. But here are my thoughts...

I'm not a fan of disassembling the loop and blocks to clean for maintenance. So I was going to use the monitors to tell me if my flow has slowed.

That's the wrong way to use dual pumps in a single loop. You want them back to back for best effect.

Back