• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard for Athlon 64 X2 939

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BobO/OC

Registered
Looking for a Motherboard for a 4800+ 939 socket. Looking at the DFI NF4 board
any other suggestions.:bang head

The ASUS A8N and, my favorite of all time, the A8N32. The '32 is an excellent, long-lasting board. I've seen a lot of DFI'a drop over the past four years (and A8N's as well) but only a few A8N32's. I'm still running three of them and two have been running 24/7 for the past four years - that's 35,000 run-time hours - and all of them OC'ed. (The other systems have been replaced by quads - they were still running fine.)

For my money, if you can find one, the A8N32 is your best bet ... :)

I vouch for the a8n32, I sold mine on ebay for damn close to what I paid for it the day it was available on newegg, I know 2 other people who got them a few months after me and have been running them everyday at 250mhz bus speeds. I can't think of any other s939 board that can compare to that.

A8N32 is probably the best s939 board ever made. Just ask QI ;)

Hopefully you can find one though..

That reminds me, I have my A8N32-SLI, FX60 and an Opty 170 to play with hehe. Now I just need to get another cheap case and PSU...

I'll also vouch for the A8N32's since I have one here that's been great since day one. Had another but traded it off for a DFI board but so far, the DFI has been good as well. Running an X2 4200 in this one for now but also have three Opty's; a 165, 175, 180 and a 4000+ San Diego I could use in it.

The only real hangup one of the A8N32's may have is probs in the MOSFET area but as long as the cooler is securely attached, it should be OK. I've seen where several of these have kicked the bucket due to MOSFET failure but it was always due to them getting hot. An aftermarket cooler made of copper would be great and if on watercooling, a MOSFET block is almost a must, not that it would actually need it but to get the benefits it would definitley provide.
If you are really good at soldering and have the correct replacement MOSFET, it's possible to repair the board rather than trash it if this happens.

Last edited:
I do run WC (and have for 4 years) on three A8N32's with no MOSFET problems. I also use the included MOSFET fan on those rigs ... ;)

Yes, that's another point about these boards.
The included fan is nice and required if WC'ing but it's suggested you don't use it if on air according to the directions for it.
Speaking of things included, this board if one should find one with all the goodies, they'll see it has ALOT of stuff that comes with it.

Asus definitely made sure this board was packed with enough extras. :cool:

Back