• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom PSU Cables

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The adjustment knob you referenced earlier changes the angle of force by turning a cam thats inside of the join. Even oversized clips can be properly secured with proper application of force(of course world domination can be had by the same means....). Im with thinderas on this one either your clips are the wrong size or your wire is, either way its wasn't getting compressed properly. I personally recommend a pair of Klein Linesmans pliers for this or any kind of wire work outside of stripping. I have used my kelins to crimp ground lugs, MC cable connectors, spade/hook connectors, and cut many thousands of pieces of wire and they are still going strong, plus they even double as a hammer in a pinch....

Hmm, this still doesn't make sense. I'm trying to think of how to get pictures. I can't press the button if I'm holding the parts. :-/

The only remaining thing I can think of is that you are using too small gauge wire or you aren't clamping hard enough.

It's a pre-set clamp. There isn't really a way to not crimp hard enough.. I think I may just complain until they give me my money back and then just get a crimper from MDPC. :shrug:

I know this is an old thread and it is probably too late to help cold.nut but it might help someone else who reads this later and has the same problem. I had problems with my first few crimps being lopsided and letting go because they seemed to be too loose until it dawned on me that I was putting the pin into the crimper upside down. Instead of the tabs that get folded in to the wire and insulation pointing up from inside the groove of the crimper, they should be pointing into the groove. The "pin" or "ram" part that pushes into the groove should be pushing against the part of the shank of the pin that is opposite from the tabs. Once I figured that out, I had perfect crimps everytime without any trouble and my crimper isn't even as nice as cold.nut's.

Also, I had problems hanging on to the pins and wires with my old, arthritic fingers while crimping them until it dawned me, instead of removing the pin from the "tree" it comes attached to, to to use a pair of dikes to cut away the section of the tree the pin is attached to so it would act as a little tab to help me hang on to the pin and the wire while doing the crimps. Once the crimps were made, I could then break the tab off the pin. That saved me a lot of pain and aggravation.

The adjustment knob you referenced earlier changes the angle of force by turning a cam thats inside of the join. Even oversized clips can be properly secured with proper application of force(of course world domination can be had by the same means....). Im with thinderas on this one either your clips are the wrong size or your wire is, either way its wasn't getting compressed properly. I personally recommend a pair of Klein Linesmans pliers for this or any kind of wire work outside of stripping. I have used my kelins to crimp ground lugs, MC cable connectors, spade/hook connectors, and cut many thousands of pieces of wire and they are still going strong, plus they even double as a hammer in a pinch....

+1 to Klein tools i have a full set of electrical tools from them spent about $700 and got almost 50 different tools from them when i was an apprentice, have had them almost 10 years now and have used them for 100s of things not one has broken,dulled,chipped or rusted.

I know this is an old thread and it is probably too late to help cold.nut but it might help someone else who reads this later and has the same problem. I had problems with my first few crimps being lopsided and letting go because they seemed to be too loose until it dawned on me that I was putting the pin into the crimper upside down. Instead of the tabs that get folded in to the wire and insulation pointing up from inside the groove of the crimper, they should be pointing into the groove. The "pin" or "ram" part that pushes into the groove should be pushing against the part of the shank of the pin that is opposite from the tabs. Once I figured that out, I had perfect crimps everytime without any trouble and my crimper isn't even as nice as cold.nut's.

Also, I had problems hanging on to the pins and wires with my old, arthritic fingers while crimping them until it dawned me, instead of removing the pin from the "tree" it comes attached to, to to use a pair of dikes to cut away the section of the tree the pin is attached to so it would act as a little tab to help me hang on to the pin and the wire while doing the crimps. Once the crimps were made, I could then break the tab off the pin. That saved me a lot of pain and aggravation.
Maybe an old thread Lady but your idea of not removing the pin from the tree is classic as I too am an oldfart with bad fingers...lol.

Back