• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED V-dac sunday playtime mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I fancy a go at the V800 next... but maybe I should wait until I can afford to replace it :rofl:

v800.jpeg

ooh I need to stop studying that picture right now :sly:

I found some decent 4mm plugs.

and switched to bi amp passive (crossover behaves different... always best way to run the katan)

plugs.jpg

sbap.jpg

rba.jpg

dont really want to cut the other blue speaker cables up... decent real banana plugs :)

--------------
stacked the speaker cables and braided.
EMI the posts and plugs.... even the headphone socket. never been used...

emiamp.jpg

cabstack.jpg

spkbraid.jpg

braid2.jpg

head.jpg

tweaked up... or tweaked out :screwy:

maybe I need another tablet :rofl:

------

shielded up the AES/EBU socket... wont be using that anymore.

aesebu.jpg

covering the remaining posts up seemed to make an immediate sense of dark background.

spkemi.jpg

also did the bullet plugs and usb...

volume got uncomfortable at about ten to. now you can get it on the hour at 50% and its much more comfortable and resolved. accumulative tweakery :D

Last edited:
I just had to play with the Violectric V800 DAC.
made a small change for the better initial impression. very detailed and delicate rendering to the highs.

let it warm up and try and get my bearings on the image scale etc.

v83.jpg

v81.jpg

v82.jpg

hope it doesn't fry :)

EDIT: yep that upped its resolve. also balanced up the phono sockets... the crappy board mounted variety always have slightly different character on every source component I have them on. a good reason to modify to use the balanced even though the pre amp isnt it should give more identical termination :)

------------------

screened off the unused sockets... certainly did no harm results wise. overall it seems to have become more coherent between the high and low frequency drivers. something more natural now going off with where the crossover meets up the two driver ranges regarding the speakers (tweeters run from around 30KHz down to 5KHz part of there design to keep distortion out of critical sounds ranges the human ear is sensitive to)

insulate with tape with a smaller piece on the reverse so theres no glue to clean off should I need the sockets at some point.

vb1.jpg

just the power, AES/EBU and optical sockets I need :D

vb2.jpg

couple of layers of foil that contact with the case to shield up.

vb3.jpg

and a bit more tape... we dont want stray flecks of foil floating off to short who knows what out... that be a bad thing to happen :D

now I need to get the linear power running on the PC properly to give it wide bandwidth power... but im waiting for design feedback before I go shoving more voltage into my I7 core. dont want to fry the cpu or strain the linear power. so on we wait... :)

I feel that shielding up the back has cleaned up the lower extension and detail with it. less artefacts to the background noise :)

Last edited:
Think im all shielded up at that... out of materials to play with. well maybe enough left for a foil hat :rofl:

now it needs a couple of months listening to let my mind weigh up the pros and cons of any effects its brought about. all good I think :)

or maybe its my new medication :rolleyes:

O.C.T.D. - obsessive compulsive tweakers disorder :D

final word.

not the latest internal pic but the last I took.
frankenputer.jpg

Frankenputer three years messing to get it audio worthy... its a bit delicate. wouldn't fancy moving it until I make that jumble of chaos a little safer :salute:

need a bigger case so I can go at it with my experiments... shields up! :facepalm: :thup:

edit: Ive only blown up a couple of motherboards and bricked a bios so only three kills so far... oh I blew up a hard drive filter and fried a £300 usb card (which SOTM agree to fix/replace... good folk :) cheers JR ) :rofl:

cash void a go go :D

Last edited:
I got the ground loop isolator and now we have no high frequency plaguing the signal. all good :)

c4.jpg

I fluffed up and should have grounded that dac pcb despite the original not being terminated to the casework.

Back