• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to get a 14" hole

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cameronpalte

Hello Everyone,
I am interested in a relatively cheap way (<$50-100) to get 2x 14" holes in 0.5" thick in aluminum bar stock. I don't want to really buy an tools because I only need to do this twice. I also need the actual middle circle portion not the outside and it can't have any holes in the middle portion.

Hello Everyone,
I am interested in a relatively cheap way (<$50-100) to get 2x 14" holes in 0.5" thick in aluminum bar stock. I don't want to really buy an tools because I only need to do this twice. I also need the actual middle circle portion not the outside and it can't have any holes in the middle portion.

Check around for places that do waterjet or laser cutting. It should cost you less than your budget. You can send them the stock and they can cut it and send both parts back. Both methods won't produce any additional holes. Plasma cutting should work as well too if you are ok with a larger kerf.

Edit: And welcome to OCF!

Yeah I would definitely pay someone with a CNC machine of some sort sort to do it for you.
With a laser or a water jet it would not take them very long at all to cut two holes. Shouldn't cost too much.
That's too thick for any of the normal DIY methods I can think of.

well if you have a drill on hand then what I would do is mark were the hole is going to be and then drill a lot of say 1/4 holes then it is a matter of just getting rid of the little peice of metal between the holes. now this is going to be sharp and rough as all can be. that is where the burr tool comes in (you can find it a lot cheaper at other places but for visual refferance) i think you can find them at home depot or lowes for @ 20 or 30 bucks.
http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/ZK4NF/4-PIECE-CARBIDE-BURR-SET/
might take some time but if no other options are there it could come out very nice

well if you have a drill on hand then what I would do is mark were the hole is going to be and then drill a lot of say 1/4 holes then it is a matter of just getting rid of the little peice of metal between the holes. now this is going to be sharp and rough as all can be. that is where the burr tool comes in (you can find it a lot cheaper at other places but for visual refferance) i think you can find them at home depot or lowes for @ 20 or 30 bucks.
http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/ZK4NF/4-PIECE-CARBIDE-BURR-SET/
might take some time but if no other options are there it could come out very nice

I think one hole and a metal cutting blade in a jigsaw or scroll saw would be easier than this method. Though neither will be very accurate without a bunch of work.

Back