• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noobish Q's about a basic 2.1 system.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JT!

So I'm looking for a basic but decent quality sound system for the TV. I have a few devices connected up to it, both via HDMI (PC and PS3). The TV does have optical out so I'd like to use that, connect that to a receiver / amp and then to non powered speakers (sub to follow).

Probably looking at a well rated pair of non-powered bookshelf speakers ($80ish) and a $100 sub.

My real problem is I don't know what to put in between the TV and the speakers. I'm really clueless on receivers and amps. I really just want something that'll power the speakers and has a decent DAC that'll accept digital optical audio from the TV.

Can anyone point me in the direction, and a ballpark amount I should spend considering the speakers I'm looking at buying?

Take a look at Samsung and Panasonic. They make receivers that use the superior HVICs as opposed to the (older and largely inferior) IPMs that other manufacturers use. The output stage (which contains the HVICs/IPMs or discrete MOSFETs as the main part) is more or less the "DAC" in a digital amplifier or receiver.

Something else you could consider is buying a cheap used receiver, most likely one without HDMI but with S/PDIF. You don't want to route the HDMI through the receiver anyways (may add lag) so why pay for that feature? Use a second S/PDIF cable to connect your PC directly to the receiver if you want to listen to music without turning the TV on.

I think NiHaoMike is referring to a soundbar solution. Samsung and Panosonic don't (or no longer) make receivers. I would look at receivers from Yamaha, as they seem to be a little better with their DAC's and output stages. You shouldn't need a real fancy one, as some of the entry level receivers from the RX-V line have a lot of bang for the buck. Soundbars would be good, but a receiver would allow for more flexibility, including surround sound if you ever decide to go that route.

As for speakers, just find some that sound good to you--there are many out there. It really depends on what you are going to ask of them. I would recommend the majority of your budget be spent on the speakers, as they will make the most difference of all.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/home-theater/HT-H4500/ZA
There is no DAC in the traditional sense in a modern receiver. They work by converting PCM to PWM/PDM, using that to drive the output stage, and then low pass filtering with a simple LC filter.

HVICs are able to operate at much higher carrier frequencies (some going into the low MHz) than IPMs or discrete MOSFETs, which means better resolution. There's also less to go wrong with the design as the drive circuits and whatnot are mostly integrated into the chip. That said, you probably won't really notice the audio quality difference, but when HVIC and IPM based units are similarly priced, why not?

My thoughts are though, looking at receivers, is that they're just way too much for what I need. I literally will only have 1 input and a 2.1 output. Isn't there anyway I can just get something a little bit more lightweight? More of an amp than a speaker?

There doesn't seem to be very many digital amplifiers nowadays. The few that are available are geared for professionals and are really expensive.
http://qlshifi.com/en/wzcapi/qa100.htm (Scroll down and you'll be able to see what an HVIC looks like under the heatsink.)

In other words, unless you really need the compact size and/or professional level performance and build quality, buy a receiver.

Alright, I think going for a used one on ebay might be the best option.

When the volume changes on the TV, does that alter the volume through the receiver and through the speakers? Or do you have to use a separate remote?

It has to be changed on the receiver. You could get a fancy universal remote that lets you remap the volume buttons, but unfortunately, there's no elegant fix for the problem.

Option A:
Klipsch Promedia 2.1 ($220) - I got mine for $150 about 2 years ago. Not worth $220 IMO.

Option B:
Pioneer SP-BS41-LR ($80 on sale from Neweg)
Pyle Home PCA1 30-Watt Stereo Mini Power Amplifier ($25) - or, as was mentioned, you could get a used receiver.
SUB Options:
Pioneer SW-8MK2
Polk Audio PSW10
MartinLogan Dynamo 300
Onkyo SKW204
BIC V1020
Dayton Audio SUB-1000

That amp is not digital and will not be usable if the TV only has S/PDIF output, which is the case for many.

Check places like Goodwill and Salvation Army for older receivers that have S/PDIF but not HDMI. Those are likely to be extra cheap since it seems like everyone wants HDMI nowadays.

That looks interesting!

So if I bought this new... or went to my local pawn america with $100 for a older non-hdmi receiver with optical in, what would get me more bang for my buck?

But that would be my better option? Would I get more for my money with regards to quality?

The Sure Electronics amp is HVIC based, which is superior to the IPMs that almost all older receivers use. Go for it unless you can find a used receiver for under $40 or so.

Back