• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED SS Kinzu V2 Cable mod - problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

obliquetsvetkov

What up, forum, first post here.

So, a couple of months back my Kinzu's usb started causing problems due to broken wires. I swapped out the cable only to get the same problem a few weeks later. After fixing it again, it died on me for a second time today.

I decided to put a mini usb port on the mouse itself, so if this happens again i can swap out the cable without having to open the mouse and rewire. I got a female breakout and after a bit of modification managed to fit it quite nicely on the front of the mouse.

The issue i'm having is that now my computer doesn't recognize the mouse - it gets power, the sensor blinks a few times and an 'usb device not recognized' error pops up. I removed the mod, plugged the old, wonky wire back in and the mouse worked. I've tested both cables and the modded bit and the wiring on all three is identical. This is just baffling me at the moment, any help would be appreciated.

Pics -
EDIT: Problem solved! After swapping the ID and GND pins on the breakout, everything works fine. Will update the album with correct wiring for reference. Thanks, Bobnova!

Last edited:
My guess would be that D+ and D- are backwards, or that the ID pin is confusing things, though where the ID pin goes inside the miniUSB cable is beyond me as there are only four pin at the other end.
I'm guessing D+/D- largely because there don't seem to be many other options to me, the power wires are clearly correct or it either wouldn't turn on or would start smoking.

EDIT:
On a closer look it looks like what ought to be the USB GND pin (black wire) is connected to ID, and the cable shield is being used as GND.
I would mode the black wire to GND and connect the shield at only the mouse end.

The ID pin on the original cable seems to be connected to the ground. When i first swapped the cables though, i only connected the 4 wires, leaving the 5th pin open. I'll try to swap the data wires and see if that helps. Thanks.

Back