• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remote Computer Support software?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rUfUnKy

I'm looking for experienced suggestions on Remote Computer Support software.

I looked at GoToMyPC and logmein but these seem to require a third party (correct me if I am mistaken).

The main things I am looking for are:

1) I would like to offer an easy solution to simple trouble shooting/maintenance/repair without the need to leave the shop.

2) Something that does not require a monthly fee.

3) Something that is not going to confuse the person on the other end.

4) Something that can be used on all versions of windows . (not windows remote desktop)

I'm all ears ....

Last edited:
Umm "Remote Desktop Connection"? It comes on all XP and vista OS' i believe if thats what your looking for. Tho it might just work in a network since i need Hamachi to connect when im somewhere else in the world.

Umm "Remote Desktop Connection"? It comes on all XP and vista OS' i believe if thats what your looking for. Tho it might just work in a network since i need Hamachi to connect when im somewhere else in the world.

Sorry, I should have added I would like it to be cross compatable with all versions of windows. Winme Win98 Winxp home/pro Vista/basic/home premium etc

Edited my OP

Any form of VNC would be good for what you need to do. I prefer TightVNC, does what its supposed to do and its free.

Also, I'm not 100% sure but I believe you can install the Terminal Services Client on versions of Windows prior to 2000. From XP and thereon its called Remote Desktop, though it is essentially the exact same thing.

OK, after doing a bit more research I'm even more confused.

Looking at the NON web based apps ( Like PC anywhere / RealVNC ) . It seems as though these are mainly used to remotely control your own computers and NOT for IT departments / help desks. Therefor making it difficult for me to connect to the person on the other end. (not even sure if this is possible without having to purchase a copy for both PC's)

Could someone help clear this up for me?

i support over 1200 users and use winvnc which is just a variant of vnc.
vnc is extremely useful in IT departments

if you want to purchase a piece of software, look into realvnc enterprise, i am not sure how many licenses it includes.

if you want free look into tightvnc or one of the other variants

winvnc is nice for use as it associates itself with our AD software and makes it easy to use

Thanks smokie. Do you have to have physical access to set up the client PC with realvnc? How easy would it be for me to direct a customer to allow me to remotely connect?

It does not come on all vista OS'. I think you can download the client at least to remotely control other computers but the computer being controlled is not something all vista OS's have.

It does not come on all vista OS'. I think you can download the client at least to remotely control other computers but the computer being controlled is not something all vista OS's have.

if this is being used for a business, i personally wouldn't be running a home edition of vista (if i had to run vista...)

Take a closer look at logmein again. I use it for some clients, and when my mom has problems with her computer lol. On your account screen you can send a link to the client that is a very simple install for them to follow, you can be logged into your account, and once they install the computer pops up on your computer list. The newest update has a chat, white screen, laser pointer, and magnifying glass. I use real VNC on my home networks but across the net control on clients computers, for free, and with the easy install e-mail links you can't go wrong.

Thanks smokie. Do you have to have physical access to set up the client PC with realvnc? How easy would it be for me to direct a customer to allow me to remotely connect?

depending on the complexity of your network/server setups, since all of our computers are on the same domain, its actually quite simple, all IT are in a group policy that allow us to install remotely

if someone uninstalls the client from their machine, we have the option in winvnc to install, uninstall, start/stop the service etc.

but the machine needs to be on the same network/domain. i dont know if it requires a special policy in AD in order for you to perform these things, but I would imagine that it does.

I'm looking for experienced suggestions on Remote Computer Support software.

I looked at GoToMyPC and logmein but these seem to require a third party (correct me if I am mistaken).

The main things I am looking for are:

1) I would like to offer an easy solution to simple trouble shooting/maintenance/repair without the need to leave the shop.

2) Something that does not require a monthly fee.

3) Something that is not going to confuse the person on the other end.

4) Something that can be used on all versions of windows . (not windows remote desktop)

I'm all ears ....
Ok, my first question to you is..."Do you make money helping people this way?". If the answer is yes, pay for a program, it will make your life so much easier.

At work, we use a variant of logemein...LogMeIn Rescue. It works VERY well, the most incompetent user can get assistance. They go to logmein123.com and type in a 6 digit number. Well worth the monthly fee.

Ok, my first question to you is..."Do you make money helping people this way?". If the answer is yes, pay for a program, it will make your life so much easier.

At work, we use a variant of logemein...LogMeIn Rescue. It works VERY well, the most incompetent user can get assistance. They go to logmein123.com and type in a 6 digit number. Well worth the monthly fee.

Yes, I will be charging a hourly fee for these services as it would be substituting some in house calls. Does LogMeIn have a payment feature built in? My plan was to receive credit card payment over the phone.

I have been looking at LogMein Rescue (I believe geek squad now uses this) Very nice Dashboard .. Cpu/memory/network/hdd usage as well as last reboot / current processes / recent event logs etc. all right there! Though the price is reasonable, I have only been open 1 year and I don't know if it is in reach of the businesses budget at this time.

› Per Technician Seat (Annual Agreement) - $99 /month
Requires annual payment of $1,188 for 12 months service. *

› Per Technician Seat (Monthly Agreement) - $129 /month
Requires monthly payment of $129 for 1 month's service.

Yes, I will be charging a hourly fee for these services as it would be substituting some in house calls. Does LogMeIn have a payment feature built in? My plan was to receive credit card payment over the phone.

I have been looking at LogMein Rescue (I believe geek squad now uses this) Very nice Dashboard .. Cpu/memory/network/hdd usage as well as last reboot / current processes / recent event logs etc. all right there! Though the price is reasonable, I have only been open 1 year and I don't know if it is in reach of the businesses budget at this time.

› Per Technician Seat (Annual Agreement) - $99 /month
Requires annual payment of $1,188 for 12 months service. *

› Per Technician Seat (Monthly Agreement) - $129 /month
Requires monthly payment of $129 for 1 month's service.
I couldn't tell you for pricing, I just use the program. It is VERY nice ;)

I personally use Remote Desktop Control 1.7, I have the Administrator Module on my Vista laptop and the Host Module on my desktop XP machine and I can take full control of the XP machine as if it were right in front of me with mouse and keyboard control in real-time. If you have your IP address you can acces your home pc while on the road. All in all, I have tried a few and this one for me works seamlessly

here is their webpage
http://www.remote-desktop-control.com/eng/features.html

Back