• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

abit vs. asus?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phiber

im looking for an nforce2 board... abit has the nf7-s? or somethin and the asus has the a8n7n something or w/e board...which one is better?
also... a 2500+ would work good with this combo yes/no? what about memory...im looking to upgrade and i have fallin behind in the times so all this stuff is new to me
i will need firewire and ata133 raid also

phiber said:
im looking for an nforce2 board... abit has the nf7-s? or somethin and the asus has the a8n7n something or w/e board...which one is better?
also... a 2500+ would work good with this combo yes/no? what about memory...im looking to upgrade and i have fallin behind in the times so all this stuff is new to me
i will need firewire and ata133 raid also

the nf7-s has no ata133 raid, but it does have sata raid that you can use ata drives with an adapter on. I personally like the nf7-s rev. 2 the best, slap some heatsinks on the mosfets and watercool or put a bigger heatsink on the NB and you've got a rock solid board that can push over 220mhz fsb.

if your doing this on a budget I would go with a tbred B chip, 1700 or 1800

hmm wat kind of memory do you reccomend? cooling isnt a problem for me because i have a chiller like Bender has.... the one that goes 4C . . . . i think i will go with the abit because i have an abit now and im not dissapointed.. . as far as the lock on the barton... how much can i expect just FSB overclocking it?

with the right memory like mushkin black lvl2 or any other stick with bh-5s you are looking at an average of 220-230fsb so even a locked barton could hit 2420 (11x220) or 2530 (11x230)

I have the A7N8X Deluxe and the NF7-S...The NF7-S IMHO is the better board...My Asus is the Revision 1.02...My NF7-S is the Revision 2.0...Both are great boards...I just feel that the NF7-S has the upper hand...:)...Most of the newer boards are not going to have ATA Raid...SATA, yes...:(

Hookem said:
I have the A7N8X Deluxe and the NF7-S...The NF7-S IMHO is the better board...My Asus is the Revision 1.02...My NF7-S is the Revision 2.0...Both are great boards...I just feel that the NF7-S has the upper hand...:)...Most of the newer boards are not going to have ATA Raid...SATA, yes...:(

yup, same thing I found when I had an nf7-s. mine was more stable than my friend's a7n8x and I got my ram clocked higher (same ram).

I personally prefer abit out of the two myself. But asus makes a rock solid board too. I just like abits because they have more options, generally.

stupid question i know what imo is but what is imho? LOL

anyways i have an nf7-s and it works great have had no problems with this board and i have run it as high as 250 fsb with some pc 4200 ram

as for the abit with the same ram i got 250 out of my friend cant get past 225 his isnt even stable at that but it posts

i have gone with abit boards since i started my overclocking journey and they have never let me down i just cant wait to see what my ic7-g does with my 2.4c :p

gl with the oc

NF7 v. 2.0 is my board of choice. This board is well capable of high FSB speeds. BIOS has alot of options for the overclocker.

Note: there is a 10 and 10.5 multiplier issue - read ABIT forums for more info. (this issue is worked around by most overclockers)

Good luck!

I just hooked up my NF7-S V.2 on Sunday and love it. I was surprised at how relatively easy it was to set up. I had always been a proponent of Asus boards but I think this Abit has changed my mind. A Word of warning though, if you plan on using the on-board lan do not forget to call your ISP and tell them the new MAC number. I have to call them myself because I am getting a DNS denial from their servers (Using my old 3com nic right now). So I would say go with the NF7-S and yes make sure it’s a Version 2. :D

You very seldom hear or read anything adverse about the ABIT NF7-S from users or tech reviews. I give credit to tech reviews but the ones I value most are the user comments because they threw down their hard earned cash and if it's crap they will tell you. Definitely Go ABIT. . . . .

I use Soltek and Epox but both pulled out of the USA and if they don't have support here or do business in my country then I refuse to do any more business with them. God Bless the USA!

anyways i have an nf7-s and it works great have had no problems with this board and i have run it as high as 250 fsb with some pc 4200 ram

is this true? i assumes that 230 was about the maximum of the board...with the NF7-s and mushkin black lvl2 3500, i would expect at least 230 but 250?! i'm considering putting down more $ for 3700 or maybe even 4000 now, if the 1800+ DLT3C can take it (sorry if this seems like a hijack)

To CoMo:

Como said:

is this true? i assumes that 230 was about the maximum of the board...with the NF7-s and mushkin black lvl2 3500, i would expect at least 230 but 250?! i'm considering putting down more $ for 3700 or maybe even 4000 now, if the 1800+ DLT3C can take it (sorry if this seems like a hijack)

HeHeHeHe . . . You wuz readin' my mind CoMo. Yes Sir, if he has that puppy running fsb 250 he's got 'er a' rockin' sho' nuff. . . .
Heck, he's giving me an inferority complex because most I ever had mine is 185, then it locked up . . . OldBird

i was promised ot hit 225 w/ this mobo and the ram i'm getting, i was gonna order as soon as tonight, i'm dead set on my HSF, TIM, processor (ordering used, paying tomorrow) and i was set on the ram/mobo, but if this baord will hit 250, i'm set on it...but maybe i should consider faster ram? a 250 FSB, or even a 235 or 240 would be NUTS on performance....

Back