• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair Vengeance and Megahalems Push Fan Clearance Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

velozzity

First Let Me start off by saying I put this in the memory section because the only problems I forsee in the future are either the memory sticks somehow becoming damaged thru vibration etc or the memory slots themselves (really more of a motherboard issue)...Now that I have explained my worries, on to the actual details......

Ok, So I recently did a drop in replacement for a few of my PC's Parts, mainly the Motherboard (went from a MSI P55-gd80 to a MSI Z87 Mpower SP), the CPU (from I7-875k to I5-4670k) and a Graphics card (Gtx 580 to Radeon 290). Went putting the system back together I ran into a minor problem which at first had me stumped. When putting a push fan on the megahalems I was using from previous build, there seemed to be literally no clearance and the fan clips pushed into the rams heatspreader...fast forward to a few days later, (Fan used is a Scythe Gentle Typhoon Ap-15)

I decided to modify the fans clips as such that instead of pushing against the outside face of the fan furthest from the heatsink they actually wrap around closest screw hole to the heatsink as such...In said state I am able to put memory in after fan is in place and memory seems to center itself in the slot without any stress due to possible contact with the fan.

RUHoX9p.jpg

Question is the Memory even with the modified clip seems to be ever so slightly (if at all hard to tell may be space equivalent to a few sheets of paper) touching the fan, Is this gonna pose a long term problem, I got this set of memory for like less than $50 a year ago and now it seems memory has gone up like 75% or more in price. Comments? Also the main area where the Heatsink seems not to clear well is the part where the sticker connects both sides of the heatsink since at that area it is a little thicker,the outside fins have a bit more clearance as seen in pics.

Also See Pics below for other references to how close it is...

YOUS4g0.jpg

lXwyFUL.jpg

Computer posts and enters windows fine, have ran prime 95 blend for an hour or so, So I don't personally think there are any immediate issues, more long term possibly, but I'd love to avoid paying >$70 for an equivalent set of memory in low profile form if possible since I sorta went over my budget already for this upgrade.

Last edited:
Excellent idea of modding the clips! :thup:

Yeah I was really peeved when at first I thought there was no way of using said memory with cooler in push-pull arrangement, but then I decided to just snip off about 3/8th of an inch of the bottom part of each clip and proceeded to make a somewhat squarish shaped hook that with some needle nose pliers, however if the Megahalems isn't squarely placed it does make slightly more contact to the ram on the ends of the sticks themselves (where corner of fans are), not that either way (meaning If i twisted the cooler clockwise or counterclockwise on the base) it ever really puts an noticeable stress on the ram making it tilt in its socket. Also I have read people say that vibration would ruin the ram slots themselves, but i think any vibration harmful enough to cause any damage over time to the slots would also be very audible, since don't in fact some fancy ram kits have fans that attacks to the ends of the modules themselves, and in that respect would also "Vibrate" the modules in the socket?

I have a Megahalems heatsink on a older system in which I realized at that moment I built it that it was imperative to only use low profile memory sticks or I would be stuck with the problem you had. So on my new system, to avoid that problem I decided use the Noctua NH-U12S and just two 16GB sticks instead, 32GB is overkill for me. Also, Noctua's don't use cheap fan clips like Megahalems'. Just my 2 cents.

Back