• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech H20-220 Edge Liquid Cooling Kit Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the difference is the reversable outlet methinks...so that you CAN use 3/4"od compressions without a 45deg if you want (I think...don't quote me). The pin structure, however, is only half of the block. The other half of the block is the nozzle which pushes the water into the pins and generates the turbulence in the flow. If that is different performance will almost certainly be different since it's an impingement block.

Hi Guys, this is Gabe, CEO at Swiftech.

@m0r7if3r;6691616 : not sure what you mean by "the pin structure is only half of the block". Do you mean compared to the XT? If so, you are incorrect. The base plate and pin bed for the XT and XTL are exactly the same. So there is no performance difference whatsoever.

@ EarthDog: Excellent article - I note that you find the pump noise somewhat high at 40%.. did you try it at lower speed?

Hi Gabe, good to cya here once and a while.

I think Mor means the bottom half is half. He's meaning I think the design of the top is the other half.

The top is the same flow design etc as the metal top, just doesn't have the movable hole right?

Hey Gabe! Thanks for the Kudos. You guys really did put together a great product here.

At the base 13% (its minimum I believe) the pump is silent and performance still solid beating out stock air by far. I found the 40% area to be completely acceptable, especially for the performance it yields there. Its only audible :). At 100% its louder than anything I have in my case at its 24/7 speeds (3 120mm Yate Loon High's @ 1k RPM). But its not like a video card fan or something of that sort. And my setup was more or less made for silence so its not a feat to be louder than 3 YLHighs @ 1k and a couple of Corsair 140MM fans at 800RPM. ;)

Gabe, om reference to M0r7's statement I recall seeing a blurb, and hopefully this was about this block, about if you use the different top there may be an almost negligable 1-2C difference just b/c of where the inlet is located over the pins???? Maybe it was skinee labs? Im not sure, and not confident it was even with that block to be honest.

Gabe, thanks for dropping in and visiting with us. :thup: We really appreciate it when companies such as yours visit our little forums and answer questions for their customers. And on a personal note, I have been a Swiftech product user since the original MC462 days and I've always found that you turn out some very well engineered product. I presently own and use an Apogee XT, GTZ, MCP355 (2 of them) and have an Apogee Drive sitting in a box, waiting to be used in a future build with an XSPC res.

Hi Gabe, good to cya here once and a while.

I think Mor means the bottom half is half. He's meaning I think the design of the top is the other half.

The top is the same flow design etc as the metal top, just doesn't have the movable hole right?

correct. I quote from the product description:

"The Apogee™ XTL is a budget friendly version on the Apogee™ XT. It differs from the XT as follows:

The housing is made of Delrin instead of chrome plated brass;
The absence of the reversible inlet/outlet top plate which allows use of extra large compression fittings.
All other features, including but not limited to retention mechanism, optional hold-down plates, dimensions, performance and flow characteristics are identical to the Apogee™ XT.
"

Hey Gabe! Thanks for the Kudos. You guys really did put together a great product here.

At the base 13% (its minimum I believe) the pump is silent and performance still solid beating out stock air by far. I found the 40% area to be completely acceptable, especially for the performance it yields there. Its only audible :). At 100% its louder than anything I have in my case at its 24/7 speeds (3 120mm Yate Loon High's @ 1k RPM). But its not like a video card fan or something of that sort. And my setup was more or less made for silence so its not a feat to be louder than 3 YLHighs @ 1k and a couple of Corsair 140MM fans at 800RPM. ;)

Gabe, om reference to M0r7's statement I recall seeing a blurb, and hopefully this was about this block, about if you use the different top there may be an almost negligable 1-2C difference just b/c of where the inlet is located over the pins???? Maybe it was skinee labs? Im not sure, and not confident it was even with that block to be honest.

I use mine at 1300 rpm, with GTyphoons at 900rpm, also built for silence (Ci7 980X @ 4.5Ghz + 2 x GTX295's, about to be replaced by 2 x FirePro's V5800).

XT performance: yes, the topic was about perf difference when rotating the inlet plate 180D. Penalty was less than 1C.

Forgot to ask, how is Joe C ?

Yeah that 1300RPM I believe is the minimum and you cant hear it run at all really, especially over case fans, even quiet ones.

Joe C posts here and there, but I cant say I know him at all outside of his TIM test threads which several members including myself participated in. Best to ask our current active admin, I.M.O.G on that one.

Again, thanks for chiming in over here on the review, quite a solid product!

Yeah that 1300RPM I believe is the minimum and you cant hear it run at all really, especially over case fans, even quiet ones.

Joe C posts here and there, but I cant say I know him at all outside of his TIM test threads which several members including myself participated in. Best to ask our current active admin, I.M.O.G on that one.

Again, thanks for chiming in over here on the review, quite a solid product!

Was just curious if he was still involved here. Joe and I date back 10 years.

Hi Guys, this is Gabe, CEO at Swiftech.

@m0r7if3r;6691616 : not sure what you mean by "the pin structure is only half of the block". Do you mean compared to the XT? If so, you are incorrect. The base plate and pin bed for the XT and XTL are exactly the same. So there is no performance difference whatsoever.

@ EarthDog: Excellent article - I note that you find the pump noise somewhat high at 40%.. did you try it at lower speed?
Great to see you taking an interest, Gabe! I think he was talking about the shape/size of the "nozzle" in the XTL maybe being different than the cone-shaped nozzle in the XL since it's a different top.

I, too, am a devoted Swiftech fan but having older rigs, they're older products: several Storms, an MCW-60, 3x655's, a 355, and even an Apogee Drive. The two MCP-655's I bought in May '06 have been running 24/7 crunching SETI since that time without a hitch - over 35,000 hours now and still quiet as a mouse at P3.5. :thup:

Last edited:

I know you hit on this already, but I wanted to just point out that con hit it on the head, I was talking about the top of the block as being the other half. Thanks for clarifying that though. So, I've got an off topic question: any chance we could get a shot of the internals of the new 580 block you guys are doing for EVGA? Good to see you around here, I've read a ton of your testing over at XS and know how much you do for the community!

Was just curious if he was still involved here. Joe and I date back 10 years.

Hey Gabe, Joe is good last I talked with him. His contact info is the same and I can hook you up if you want to see what he's up to lately. He or his business partner post under the JoeC account regularly also.

Shoot me a PM if you like, and we can also arrange doing a spotlight article on swifttech perhaps.

Wow, it is pretty cool that the ceo posts here.

yea, the watercooling community is pretty tight-knit, Eddy (the guy who runs EK) posts over at XS and gabe is super regular over there...skinnee of skinneelabs posts here a bit and at XS a lot...there's a whole bunch of people who're active in the community, staying down in the trenches.

yea, the watercooling community is pretty tight-knit, Eddy (the guy who runs EK) posts over at XS and gabe is super regular over there...skinnee of skinneelabs posts here a bit and at XS a lot...there's a whole bunch of people who're active in the community, staying down in the trenches.

thats pretty awesome, i will have to head over to xs at some point. I am actually considering buying this to play around with watercooling. I am still researching my own loop, but this seems to be pretty effective for the priceand easy to wortk with hehe

Back