• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

URGENT !! Is there anyway to recover file in Kazaa?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baqai

okay here is the situation i was downloading this file of about 98mb and it was completed about 70mb i had light fluctuations and my computer rebooted and i found that the file have just disppeared from my kazaa download list, how can i recover it? coz 70 mb on my dialup took me a whole night :(

if you didn't cancel the download it should still be in your queue waiting to be finished. If it's not in your queue anymore the only thing I've successfully been able to do is rename the extension to .avi or .mpg

KaZaA temporarily stores the files as blahblahblahblah.dat in the MY SHARED FOLDER

That allowed me to open it in a video editing program, chop off the empty frames, then resave it as a new compressed video.
Most other file types cannot be opened if they're incomplete.

i havent cancelled the download, and its gone from the que, i see so many files in the shared folder how would i know which file is the one i am looking for? :(

and it is about half way downloaded can't i resume it ?? i mean if i can't than that means i have re download the whole stuff again OUCH!

the easiest way to find that .dat is to figure out how many megs you had d/l of that file. because every file you are/were downloading is a .dat with a bunch of numbers.

so look for file size.

i tried that the biggest fle i could found was of 31 mb none of the file is of 70 mb, is it possibility that downloads are done in "pieces" ? anyways i am asking this for future reference coz i think i will have to download from start *sigh* :(

one last thing, install an older or newer version of kazaa. it has worked for me before, it picked back up files that i never finished but deleted from my queue.

btw. you do use kazaa lite???

I HOPE SO.

yes i do use kazaa lite thanks for the suggestion lemme try reinstalling kazza and see what happens

will it work if i uninstall and than install the same version?

usually (at least that's what I remember from when Windows ME was crashing while Morpheus was runngin), it looses the file definitely. Donno why or how, but it just erases the files that were downloading while the crash occured the first time you open the program after the crash.

i tried reinstalling kazaa didn't worked :( it picked all of the downloads i had prior to uninstalling kazaa

anyways i have backed up my shared folder directory incase by some miracle someone finds a way to resume that file

It's gone, sorry. I've had that happen several times with older versions but never with a new one. I'm not sure what happens, but when the system crashes it takes some of your downloads with it. Very frustrating, but there's nothing you can do about it that I know other than upgrade it.

Back