• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GF3 XP installation problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fuzzba11

Today I just got my GeForce 3 back from Hercules by RMA(and they sent me a Ti500 :D ), anyway, I eagerly unwrapped it, uninstalled the Kyro 2 driver that I was running so the driver was just listed as default VGA with 3D or something. Then took the Kyro 2 out, installed the GF3 Ti500, made sure it was fully in the slot, booted up, and something burped. It was a BIOS option that I changed, and got past it, got the Win XP splash screen. It stayed there, the little bar scrolling right, for a lot longer than usual. Then blinked black, and the mouse cursor appeared on the screen. Then it went to thinking, and stayed there.

I could still move the mouse, etc, but it wasn't responding to esc, f8, ctrl-alt-delete, etc. Only after I removed it and put the Kyro 2 back in there I could boot into XP again. Anyone know the steps I should take to install this thing?

Did you completely remove the vid card drivers then reboot? After you do that... just put the GF3 in and boot... if it takes a long time... try booting into safe mode. Or maybe you need to set your bios to defaults. Hmmm... (sorry... just throwin out ideas here :D) another option is to try a clean install of the os with the GF3 in.

BTW... what card did you send in to have RMA'd?

fuzzba11 said:
Today I just got my GeForce 3 back from Hercules by RMA(and they sent me a Ti500 :D ), anyway, I eagerly unwrapped it, uninstalled the Kyro 2 driver that I was running so the driver was just listed as default VGA with 3D or something. Then took the Kyro 2 out, installed the GF3 Ti500, made sure it was fully in the slot, booted up, and something burped. It was a BIOS option that I changed, and got past it, got the Win XP splash screen. It stayed there, the little bar scrolling right, for a lot longer than usual. Then blinked black, and the mouse cursor appeared on the screen. Then it went to thinking, and stayed there.

I could still move the mouse, etc, but it wasn't responding to esc, f8, ctrl-alt-delete, etc. Only after I removed it and put the Kyro 2 back in there I could boot into XP again. Anyone know the steps I should take to install this thing?

nooooooooooooo...
the black screen with the cusor is suppose to happen! its simply XP seeing the new video card, and installing drivers for it. mine does that each time i update my drivers. (well when i uninstall the reinstall them anyways) be claim, it takes like 30seconds or so depeneding on your system.. Never touch anything when u see any movement on the screen while the OS is installing or doing a task. im sure it will run through again if you simply wait a bit. try it again, and if the cusor freezes and if nothing happeneds after like 2mins then reboot, and try again.
if not then after bios, Hit "F8" and boot into safe mode, and try to install the ti500 drivers. id try 23.11 (or the newest from www.geforce.com if they've updated yet) and work on from there.
post up if you still have trouble, hope you dont, cuz to me it sounds just a lil lack of piatence :) drink a few :beer: then you wont even realize the wait for XP to install the ti500 ;)

Alright, now I'm kinda stumped. I can boot into XP in Safe Mode, and it gives me 1280x1024 resolution and 16 bit color, no problems(and with networking, so I can go online), but if I install the Ti500 drivers and boot normally, I get the black screen with the cursor, which does NOTHING, then after about 3 minutes, reboots, and keeps doing the same thing in a loop. I can still boot into Safe Mode and my display works fine!! WTF!!? Obviously my Ti500 drivers aren't happy. So far I've tried nvidia 23.11s, Hercules 21.81s, and microsoft's nvidia 21.82s, and none will get me anywhere but that black screen of nothingness. I tried the 14.10 drivers by using the GeForce 3 listed driver, but my desktop went to 640x480x4 bit color. Currently going to try some other drivers, but can someone tell me what drivers work for them in XP with a Ti500!??!

Have you tried going to the Windows Update Website? If you do that you can get the 23.12 dets.... this wouldn't be the infinite loop I keep hearing about is it?

RainMaQer said:
Have you tried going to the Windows Update Website? If you do that you can get the 23.12 dets.... this wouldn't be the infinite loop I keep hearing about is it?

Yes, I'm guessing it is. The first and only thing I have to complain about so far in my use of XP. I don't understand, I've tried every driver I have, reinstalling the VIA chipset drivers, reinstalling Direct X 8.1, and even that Windows Update(got it automatically, I'll try manually, now). Even playing with options in BIOS isn't helping. I'm getting really disheartened :(

Back