• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't get 4gb ram to work in p5b deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jizzzared

Hi all,

So I've been running 2gb of ram for a few years and finally bought a 4gb (2x2gb) kit of OCZ platinum 8500 low voltage ram. I'm using it in an Asus P5b Deluxe rev 1.

I can get either stick to work flawlessly, but no matter what I try, my computer freezes on initial screen that says p5b deluxe, before I can get to the bios or anything when I have both sticks in.

I've tried the northbridge voltage from 1.25-1.65, relaxed timings to 6-6-6-18, changed memory voltage from 1.8-1.95, tried all the different memory slot options and used just about every combination of these different settings together. Nothing seems to work.

Is it my motherboard? My bios? What could be the issue? I am frustrated, especially because both pieces of ram are working, just not together as I need them to be. Thanks for any help in advance guys!

Oh, and just to give all the information possible, I'm using my p5b deluxe in conjunction with a silverstone st56zf, a geforce gtx260, intel e8500, and ocz vertex harddrive.

Did you set your machine to all default settings? The memory may not like your OC... Also, is there a memory compatible list for that board? Could be its not 100% compatible.

Thanks for the reply CGR. It turns out my bios was incompatible with 4gb ram and my E8500. The most recent bios addressed that issue specifically and everything is running smoothly now. Thanks again.

Hi all,

So I've been running 2gb of ram for a few years and finally bought a 4gb (2x2gb) kit of OCZ platinum 8500 low voltage ram. I'm using it in an Asus P5b Deluxe rev 1.

I can get either stick to work flawlessly, but no matter what I try, my computer freezes on initial screen that says p5b deluxe, before I can get to the bios or anything when I have both sticks in.

I've tried the northbridge voltage from 1.25-1.65, relaxed timings to 6-6-6-18, changed memory voltage from 1.8-1.95, tried all the different memory slot options and used just about every combination of these different settings together. Nothing seems to work.

Is it my motherboard? My bios? What could be the issue? I am frustrated, especially because both pieces of ram are working, just not together as I need them to be. Thanks for any help in advance guys!

Oh, and just to give all the information possible, I'm using my p5b deluxe in conjunction with a silverstone st56zf, a geforce gtx260, intel e8500, and ocz vertex harddrive.

The motherboard may have changed the RAM divider to the wrong RAM to FSB ratio when it detected more RAM.

Back