• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my monitor dying?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The_Ryz_Factor

Recently on my screen in the upper left hand corner the picture has been flickering. It's not like it is flickering extremely noticeably, but it is noticeable enough... :( It's only in the upper left hand corner, too. Is my monitor dying? What could be wrong with it?

Hey Rolling Ghettos :)

Umm depending on how old it is.. one of the electron guns may be comming out of alignment.

While I'm sure it could be repaired its also a great reaosn to get a new monitor :)

But that is just my guess

This monitor is only like a year old. :( I got it last summer... :\

And yeah I'm from Rolling Meadows. :) Right now I'm in West Lafayette, IN for school though. :D

It might need to be degaussed. Most newer monitors have an on screen menu with an option to degauss. Monitors can build up a charge in them that can cause different things like the picture to flicker or strange colors. Degaussing removes that charge.

The other thing to look for is anything electronic near the monitor that could cause interferance. Sometimes things like speakers or a close by fan can cause the screen to flicker.

It may also be environmental interference if it's just that one corner. Try moving your computer to a different part of the room or better yet into another room. See if that improves any.

check the power cord of the monitor too, I've heard that having lots of other power cables and stuff like that around the monitor cord can cause interference

I'm trying to decide if my monitor is flickering or not, it's freakin me out

My monitor flickers pink at random intervals. Its a nec multisync xe21 from 1994, i attribute this to interferance from other stuff in the room. I unplugged my ethernet cable for a while, and the screen turned a shade of pink. When i put it back in voila its back to normal. I guess it wasnt designed to handle all the interferance that modern electronics put out ?

err now that this was posted i'm noticing it more :(

looks like this sceptre might be going on my other computer

gives me a reason to buy that flatscreen viewsonic i want.

TimDgsr said:
err now that this was posted i'm noticing it more :(

looks like this sceptre might be going on my other computer

gives me a reason to buy that flatscreen viewsonic i want.
if your looking at viewsonic check this one out

Viewsonic 19" Black 1600x1200 PerfectFlat Monitor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer #
Price 247.00
Usually Ships
Quantity
Item Number M19 VIE E90FB

ViewSonic E90FB 19" Graphics Series CRT Monitor.

The ViewSonic E90fb 19" (18.0" viewable) CRT offers incredible value in a large, brilliantly rich display that's perfect for everyday applications. Featuring ViewSonic's PerfectFlat screen, the ultra-fine 0.21mm horizontal dot pitch renders exceptionally accurate edge-to-edge images, sharp, crisp text and minimized reflection from ambient light. Plus, ViewSonic's optional USB hub base snaps easily into the bottom of the monitor, allowing convenient multiple USB peripheral connections. For an affordable choice for demanding business, SOHO and education applications choose the E90fb.

Features:

- 0.21mm horizontal pitch, 0.25mm diagonal pitch.
- 1600 x 1200 maximum resolution.
- PerfectFlat® screen.
- SuperClear® technology.
- OSD lock function.
- OnView controls.
- Anti-static, anti-reflection screen.
- ViewSonic color management.
- ViewSonic Wizard.
- Plug & Play +.
- PC and Mac®* compatible.
- Three-year limited warranty

Back