• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best air cooled solution for 5770 in crossfire?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

makaid

Registered
They get hot at full load (72C). I have seen some decent coolers online but I am unsure of space requirements. My motherboard has 4 PCIe slots. I have both cards on x16 slots so they are spaced with an enitre two slots available under each one.

Any suggestions?

It's not that hot. How fast do fans spin under full load? Can u increase it?

that's actually quite good, temps wise.
it's only when they're reaching 90c and the fan noise bothers you - that's when it's time for a change lol.

but if you like, Thermalright T-rad will work nicely. they're designed to work with SLi/Xfire configs.

I found that the t-rad was not compatible. However I ordered 2 HR-03 rev. a's. here

and a decent review here.

I'll post pics when they come in.

I finally received these Thermalright HS in the mail. They are awesome. My load temps on the GPU's hasn't gone over 50c and I am using them passively without a fan.
4279071711_36bc73ca87_o.jpg

EDIT: I was looking at the GPU temps in CPU-Z, which only show the temp for the primary card. I was using 3D-Mark and noticed that the top card reaches 51c and the bottom one went to 80c. Idle temperatures are about 39c for both.

Last edited:
man how come your temps are so good?! :(
i boguht one recently for my 4850 and idletemps are 50c :shrug:
load temps still get up to 90c, i'm running passive as well.

I think it all has to do with airflow in your case when it comes to running heatsinks passively. You need good cable management too. I have a large 140mm fan in front and two 140mm fans on top venting hot air out and the pci slot covers on the back are vented as well allowing air being pushed from the front to flow over the cards. I also ordered some fans but I am going to do a custom mounting of them since they are 100mm (not too far from the 92mm ones they recommend). These are the ones I ordered from Newegg...
35-185-072-S01

They are only 12mm (~0.5inches) thick. This makes them perfect for mounting on top of the sink between the card and the sink.

man how come your temps are so good?! :(
i boguht one recently for my 4850 and idletemps are 50c :shrug:
load temps still get up to 90c, i'm running passive as well.

What are your ambients like? Also, have you tried rearsting the cooler in case of a bad mount? Try checking into your case airflow as well, and if temps are still a bit high, try adding a fan to the cooler.

What are your ambients like? Also, have you tried rearsting the cooler in case of a bad mount? Try checking into your case airflow as well, and if temps are still a bit high, try adding a fan to the cooler.

I agree with that too. Maybe try to reapply some new thermal paste and check again?

Another thing that I did was place the stick on heatsinks on the top and bottom of all of the chips.

yeah i've got some ICD7 on my 4850...so my temps were a pretty big shock.
i don't have list my sig anymore...but i'm running an Antec 900 and did some dremelling for cable management recently. although, i did take out all my fans...that might be the problem...as well as it being summer here in Australia :p

it's been pretty hot hear these last few days. it was around 35-40 degrees ambient here a few days ago.

i had a thread about it a few weeks ago - the heatsink was actually burning my fingers when i tested with Furmark. so the heat's getting through the heatsink...it's just not getting anywhere. i'll stick a 92mm Delta on there when i get back into some games. in study mode for the new school term atm

Nice, I'm thinking about getting a HR-03 for the HD5750 I ordered for a backup system. Do any RAM sinks come with the HR-03, or do I need to buy them separately? Also, can the HR-03 be mounted so it "goes around" the side of the card?

Last edited:
Nice, I'm thinking about getting a HR-03 for the HD5750 I ordered for a backup system. Do any RAM sinks come with the HR-03, or do I need to buy them separately? Also, can the HR-03 be mounted so it "goes around" the side of the card?

Yes and Yes. It can be reverse mounted. The RAM heatsinks all came with it. However there are some that are flat for placement under the pipes as they curve around the card that have adhesive that is absolutely worthless. I would definitely buy some thermal glue when and if you decide to buy this.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Just hope the temps will be as good as yours.

Well... After some more extensive longer term testing the temps did get higher without a fan. The hottest GPU was over 80C after playing Crysis Warhead for 30 min.

I think a fan is definitely needed for this thing at load. I am guessing all of that hot air has no where to go after it dissipates from the heat sink. Idle temps are still under 40C though.

If you are looking for a truly passive solution for your cards, the Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev 2 fits the bill nicely. It really pulls ahead in performance if you add a couple of silent fans to it as well. I don't know about compatibility with the 5xxx series cards though.

Well... After some more extensive longer term testing the temps did get higher without a fan. The hottest GPU was over 80C after playing Crysis Warhead for 30 min.

I think a fan is definitely needed for this thing at load. I am guessing all of that hot air has no where to go after it dissipates from the heat sink. Idle temps are still under 40C though.

Are you going passive because you are ocd about noise (like me) or because a fan wont fit with sli/xfire?

I've been thinking about picking up the newer HR-03 GTX versions for my gtx260. My card gets bloody hot when gaming, meaning i need to crank the fan up to at least 50% to get around ~80 degrees C.

Even running a 12omm fan on very low rpm would satisfy me!

Are you going passive because you are ocd about noise (like me) or because a fan wont fit with sli/xfire?

I've been thinking about picking up the newer HR-03 GTX versions for my gtx260. My card gets bloody hot when gaming, meaning i need to crank the fan up to at least 50% to get around ~80 degrees C.

Even running a 12omm fan on very low rpm would satisfy me!

I am running passive because of the space restraints in my crossfire setup. I ordered 2 12mm thick fans to mount on them though.

I love how quiet my case is right now with them running passive. But I am finding myself more OCD about temps than noise. I think running these passive only gives you slightly better than stock performance with 100% less noise though.

have you tried a Furmark run?
that's what probably accounted for my 90+ temps.
games usually don't stress the GPU as much, so looks like all i need is a fan on it.

If you are looking for a truly passive solution for your cards, the Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev 2 fits the bill nicely. It really pulls ahead in performance if you add a couple of silent fans to it as well. I don't know about compatibility with the 5xxx series cards though.

That one really has my attention. This review on SPCR shows it passively handles a Radeon X1950XTX very well, which has a thermal design power (TDP) of 125W. The 5770 has a TDP of 108W according to this anandtech report.

Does TDP more closely correspond to idle heat output, load/stress heat output, or something else entirely?

Back