• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project Prodigy mATX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Update.

I received my AsRock H77 Pro4-M and rebuilt the rig with the new mobo.

IMG_0560 (Custom).JPG
IMG_0561 (Custom).JPG

I am unsure if i should get a back plate for the primary card? I like the circut look, but would a back plate look better?
IMG_0563 (Custom).JPG

After 2 months of searching now, i have given up on finding a 7870 reference card.

I have put the 7870 up for sale with the waterblock and once sold i will search and buy 7950's instead.

Since i am currently working on rebuilding my 600T with water cooling, i am going to need a replacement rig while i work on the 600t.

So i bought some tubing, and hooked up the CPU to be water cooled, and stuffed 2x 5870's into the rig. It is a temp solution, and i can say, i am not happy with the tubing, and the was the tubes are run.

IMG_0592 (Custom).JPG
IMG_0593 (Custom).JPG

I found out that i dont like the motherboard, so now i am trying to source an Asus Maximus V Gene.

An update on this build, its not forgotten.

Its been running stable with the 2500k @ 4,8ghz for a month now, but tubes are worthless.
This morning i ordered a window side for the case, along with Primochill lrt advanced tubes.
I am also hoping to pick up my first 670gtx tonight, it will run air until i find a block for it.

Pictures will come next week once i dig into the build once more, but since my main rig is under the knife right now, this will only be a tube replacement and then off it goes once more for use, since the rig is currently my daily rig.

I got a few pieces today, unfortunately, they forgot to add my new primochill tubing.

I should get it start of next week. In the mean time I got a decent deal on a waterblock for my 670 gtx. Just hope it fits, its a ref block from an EVGA 680 hydro copper.

Next week, I hope to redo the whole inside of the pc.

But heres a picture of where the system is at.
IMG_0759 (Custom).JPG

I normally just look on EKWB cooling config, my 670 uses 680 ref cooler for some reason. The Hydro block should fit, but time will tell.

A lot of 670s were built on the 680 pcb. This is because higher end cards wanted more features than they could fit on a short pcb. The reference 670 was extremely short with the heatsink off, as the last two to three inches of the card were just fan!

A lot of 670s were built on the 680 pcb. This is because higher end cards wanted more features than they could fit on a short pcb. The reference 670 was extremely short with the heatsink off, as the last two to three inches of the card were just fan!

Did not know that, but I did wonder why it was so.:thup: Thank you

So its the big one!

I got my Hydro Copper yesterday, and started my full rebuild.

To start with, a few pictures of how the system was sitting.
IMG_0773 (Custom).JPG
IMG_0775 (Custom).JPG
IMG_0777 (Custom).JPG
IMG_0778 (Custom).JPG

I removed all the hardware, to drain the loop, and removed the old cheap tubes.
IMG_0779 (Custom).JPG
IMG_0780 (Custom).JPG

The EVGA Hydro Copper with backplate.
IMG_0781 (Custom).JPG

I dont really have pictures during the mounting process, nor the card alone after the mounting. The block did not fit out the box. The EVGA 680GTX has stacked power plugs, while the Gigabyte 670GTX has them next to each other. A little modding, and the block was on place.

I cut the tubes and started test fitting.
IMG_0783 (Custom).JPG
IMG_0782 (Custom).JPG

Started to clamp the tubes in place. I know they arnt the prettiest clamps, but they work.
IMG_0785 (Custom).JPG
IMG_0786 (Custom).JPG
IMG_0788 (Custom).JPG
IMG_0789 (Custom).JPG

I started to run the wires.
IMG_0791 (Custom).JPG
IMG_0792 (Custom).JPG
IMG_0793 (Custom).JPG
IMG_0794 (Custom).JPG
IMG_0795 (Custom).JPG
IMG_0795 (Custom).JPG
IMG_0796 (Custom).JPG

Done - I now consider the rig 90% done.
I still want one more 670GTX, I need a mount for the HDD/SSD, and that would be the rig finished as far I am concerned, but i am considering replacing the CPU block, as it just isnt cooling well compared to what i would like.

IMG_0798 (Custom).JPG
IMG_0797 (Custom).JPG
IMG_0799 (Custom).JPG
IMG_0800 (Custom).JPG
IMG_0802 (Custom).JPG
IMG_0803 (Custom).JPG

Complete, running.

Idle temps are 40, and load are 70degrees, which I am unhappy about.
CPU is at 4,8Ghz @ 1,390v

GPU Idles around 30 degrees.

Comments are as always welcome.

Last edited:
I can understand why your not to happy with those Temps, maybe with a different CPU Block and some Tim like mine it could be better!!

My CPU is @ 23C TO 25C and GPU is @ 24c on one and 26c on the other. The Ambient here is 20c and the fans running on Silent mode!

I can understand why your not to happy with those Temps, maybe with a different CPU Block and some Tim like mine it could be better!!

My CPU is @ 23C TO 25C and GPU is @ 24c on one and 26c on the other. The Ambient here is 20c and the fans running on Silent mode!

Im fine with the GPU Temp, it is a compact system, but i do believe the CPU block is to blame for the high CPU temp.:)

Back