• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project Baby Rack

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I swapped my BFB1012VHs (5200 RPM, 60 dB, 38CFM) with BFB1012Ms (3200RPM, 49 dB, 22.6CFM), and now the sound is much more bearable. I selected the "3-Pin (Server)" profile for fan control in the BIOS, and after the initial full speed turn on, it slows down to a nice hum. The M's did come with a 3 pin connector that was non-standard (but did fit into a normal 3 pin header) but the wires were in the wrong order, so I spliced them into a new 3 pin connector.

P1030682r.jpg

Testing it into the rack
P1030687r.jpg

A quiet 1U?
bwU4r.gif

yea those are them annoying dell connectors, they work one way but you cannot put other fans on their headers :(

glad to "hear" you got a quiet 1u, im kinda jelly :p

Nice on the 4 port NIC. How are temps holding on the 1u now that it's been running for a while?

Funny story. After trying to 7v the fans when I first got it, now the PSU fan doesn't work (alhough the actual fan works fine connected to a 9v battery). I was able to pick up an identical and the fan works fine now, but now that fan is the loudest thing.

Temps are ok, not great. The processors idle in the high 40C's which I'm happy with. Those FB-DIMMs are no joke however. They stay in the mid 70C range! I actually moved the 1U up one U to give it some space. I had it on for a few days there wasn't any problems. Truthfully I'm not running it at the moment. Looking at making it a dev system with VMs set up on it. I want to get into malware analysis, so I want to set it up with multiple VMs for DNS, workstations etc. Some malware won't run if it's not connected to the internet, but you can set up a pseudo-internet with a DNS server, and then capture what domains its trying to access.

A few more updates:

Set up the proxy container with Privoxy.

Got a riser card for the 1U.

IMG_20140313_170904rr.jpg

IMG_20140313_171351rr.jpg

And I also bought a Supermicro X8STi (1366 motherboard) with some bent pins on the cheap. Only paid $20 + shipping, and the damage didn't look too bad. If I can repair it, it will be well worth the purchase. This is to go with the L5639 I picked up for cheap from the classifieds :thup:

So my Supermicro X8STi came in on Thursday.

P1030714r.jpg

Closeup of damage:
$(KGrHqEOKpIFJ30YYOiGBSe+-9fq8w~~60_57 (1).JPG

Just about fixed, just a few minor adjustments done after this pic
P1030716r.jpg

Threw this in there
P1030724r.jpg

Tried to boot... and no dice. Fans and lights power on, but there's no beeps (with both internal and an external speaker I hooked up) even if I take the RAM out, and doesn't seem to finish POST. :( Thought I would get lucky on this deal, looks like I bummed out on it. Only thing I can think of is the BIOS doesn't support the CPU; only way I could test that is to take out one of the L5520s from server #1, but I don't think that's the case.

Thought an L5639 would be included under that. The only other CPUs that would fit are my L5520s. Might power down the server this weekend real quick and try it out, but I don't have high hopes.

Well you dont have missing pins, just bent. Possible that they arent straight enough and arent making contact with the pad on the CPU? You arent out much and at the worst you lost some time and a few bucks luckily.

Had some time, so I swapped in an L5520 and some RAM. Even tinkered with the pins a little bit, but nothing. Was worth a shot, I suppose... oh well, back to fleabay I go

Last edited:
Nice. I have a Cyberpower 1k UPS that I REALLY like (I don't know why I like it any better than any of my APC units specifically) but it seems to have blown something up internally that is hidden. I have pulled the UPS apart and can't locate any burn marks but it does nothing but scream the alarm if I plug it in.

I am probably going to take it with me when I sell the bad batteries back to BatteryMart which is less than a mile from my house (found that out AFTER I ordered a bunch of batteries from them online...)

Keep an eye on your local Craigslist and/or I can PM you some links to a few sellers on ebay if you want. I have seen people giving away "bad" UPS before that simply needed new batteries.

Nice. I have a Cyberpower 1k UPS that I REALLY like (I don't know why I like it any better than any of my APC units specifically) but it seems to have blown something up internally that is hidden. I have pulled the UPS apart and can't locate any burn marks but it does nothing but scream the alarm if I plug it in.

I am probably going to take it with me when I sell the bad batteries back to BatteryMart which is less than a mile from my house (found that out AFTER I ordered a bunch of batteries from them online...)

Keep an eye on your local Craigslist and/or I can PM you some links to a few sellers on ebay if you want. I have seen people giving away "bad" UPS before that simply needed new batteries.

Nice. And sure I'll send you a PM if I'm looking for another one. Might need a smaller one up front for my tv/receiver/pfsense box.

The software for this one is predominately windows, but they have released some for linux. Hooked a serial cable up and installed the software:

Code:
root@Proxmox:~# pwrstat -status

The UPS information shows as following:

Properties:
                Model Name................... OP1500
                Firmware Number.............. 5.2.1.1
                Rating Voltage............... 120 V
                Rating Power................. 1000 Watt(1500 VA)

Current UPS status:
                State........................ Normal
                Power Supply by.............. Utility Power
                Utility Voltage.............. 121 V
                Output Voltage............... 121 V
                Utility Frequency............ 60.0 Hz
                Battery Capacity............. 100 %
                Load......................... 250 Watt(25 %)
                Line Interaction............. None
                Test Result.................. Passed at 2014/06/14 22:53:17
                Last Power Event............. None

Back