• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9 280X Leaking and Burning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kcharuso

Hi all,

ill keep this short, im running 3 gigabyte r9 280x; all three units ran excellent in temp, voltage, speed since January. the rig was used for rendering and folding (99% load @ 8 eight hours a day). there were 2 RM850 supplied the power where card 1 and 3 was on one RM850 while card 2 and everything else were hooked to the other RM850.

here is the exciting part, i came back from lunch today and noticed a burning smell. i quickly check the computer and confirmed that it was the source. before shutdown, i quickly scanned all parameters (GPUs, Mobo, CPUs, power supplies, HD, RAM etc.) and all readings were normal. i parted everything for inspection and found some type of an oil-based liquid on the PCB of 2 GPUs. i asked a few people to smell all 3 GPUs and indicate the burnt units and everyone indicated the same 2 leaked units. noted that the leaked GPUs were on a different power supply but both have the leak in the same area on the PCB.

can anyone tell me what is going on here. i have been around computer for a while but never come across this anomaly. the GPUs are under 3 yr Warnt. and replaceable but i still want/need to know what went wrong with the GPUs.

the questionable liquid is hard to see in the pictures but it is definitely there.

thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 316
MSI card (doesn't look like it)? They had notorious issues of the oil in their fans leaking... this is looking to be something of the same? Its hard to tell in the pictures...

anyway, time for an RMA.

MSI card (doesn't look like it)? They had notorious issues of the oil in their fans leaking... this is looking to be something of the same? Its hard to tell in the pictures...

anyway, time for an RMA.

They're Gigabyte, EarthDog.

I agree though, looks like oil.

can oil fan create the burning odor? i did not see any smoke but the entire day my office smells like burn speaker wire.

Maybe it burned something up inside the fan... bearings or something?

Either way, I would RMA that card.

Back