• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS 290 DCU2 reaching 90c stock clocks! Ideas?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have DC2 290 too and it runs over 90c with pretty much any game using dx10+
I emailed Asus asking about this since they promise it runs cool and quiet but they didn't seem to care.
False marketing. yay!

The fan speed is limited to allow the card reach 94c before it starts to ramp up and doing so it reveals a problem with the cooler. Very loud and annoying resonance.
Only good thing about this card is the power delivery and that EK makes a full cover water block for it.
I have pretty decent airflow and it really doesn't help much with the temps. This cooler just isn't made for this card.

I don't have one of the 290s but from what I've read it's just plain hot. 200+ watts is a lot of juice and that's a lot of heat to get rid of. The DCII design is actually a pretty good one, so I would blame the GPU more so than the Cooler itself. I have a couple of GTX 580 DCUII in SLI and they're also a very hot GPU. The cooler keeps then where they need to be as long as you can keep a good air flow moving through the case.

I don't have one of the 290s but from what I've read it's just plain hot. 200+ watts is a lot of juice and that's a lot of heat to get rid of. The DCII design is actually a pretty good one, so I would blame the GPU more so than the Cooler itself. I have a couple of GTX 580 DCUII in SLI and they're also a very hot GPU. The cooler keeps then where they need to be as long as you can keep a good air flow moving through the case.

The problem with the cooler is that all heatpipes do not make contact with the GPU die.
It's just old design that was slapped on the 290 cards without any alteration.
But even if they did alter the heat sink I wouldn't expect too much of a improvement but extra 10-15% of heat dissipation is still something.
I just think its kind of cheap move to market it as huge improvement when in reality it does not improve much if anything at all.

I'm not saying these aren't hot GPUs but the cooler itself is not really what it claims to be for this card:O

Asus claims this card is 3 times quieter and 20% cooler when in reality it is just as loud and just as hot as reference cards.
DC2 does have better cooling performance but in no way is it quieter once you put enough load on it unless you use the quiet operation mode where this card starts to throttle like reference design does.
I guess it's a matter of perspective when you look at the claim of being 20% cooler. it's certainly 20% more effective than stock cooler but as long as the fan speed is limited it will still overheat.
Honestly I expected it to run 20% cooler as in degrees. That would place it in the 70c range with 3x less noise. Obviously this is not true :D

That's weird I thought their newer design was better. My 580s are 3 slot cards and noisy as hell when they wind up OCd to 1000+ with 100% fan sounds like a jet plane. The pair of 770s I have are 2 slot coolers and make half the noise. Now the 770s run a lot cooler than my 580s do in the first place, I don't think they've ever been over the 70c mark fully clocked at 1300+
Either way the DCII can't work in a restricted space that's for sure. Even AMD knows that those GPUs are hot, that's why the 295 has a liquid solution to try and help. My guess is AMD may not have been straight up with the heat these monsters produce just like they did with the FX line. Then the third party manufacturers get caught with their pants down. Look at all the Mobos that are "supposed" to be able to run an 8 core FX.

Back