• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cross Fire question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
Do you have to have a Cross Fire certified MB to do CF? I have an older EVGA X58 SLI MB. I just bought two R9 280X for folding. I would like to CF them for my occasional gaming.

I've been an Nvida guy for years and years and finally made the jump back to AMD.

EVGA doesn't do much with AMD, but that board should run Crossfire just fine.

Edit: if you've got the equipment already it can't hurt to try.

Edit 2: It will work

Last edited:
EVGA doesn't do much with AMD, but that board should run Crossfire just fine.

Edit: if you've got the equipment already it can't hurt to try.

Edit 2: It will work

I will try it. We were talking about it in the shop and thought that the SLI/Xfire might really all be done in the connector. That's where the real bandwidth is. We were thinking, and I am hoping that SLI/Xfire are platform independent.

Surprisingly, there isn't much performance loss without the connector (when you can do that)... but that may be in PCIe3 implementations too... Look at the new AMD cards... no connector required... same slots. ;)

After further digging, not sure you even need to hack/flash anything to get that support... report back!

Last edited:
Well, I don't have an EVGA MB after all. I have an ASUS. I didn't bother to check the model number. Its still an X58 chipset. I have both cards in and the xFire is set up. I gamed a little and now I'm folding. I had to underclcok and undervolt the cards to keep the heat and noise down. Come winter time I can boost that up again.

I can say that two 280X's on a 750 watt PSU and X58 MB does work.

Back