• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'ing a Pentium(as in pentium I) :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fight556

I know I pretty much have to go about it by soldering higher power connections on the mobo...this is a pentium 133--I have no money right now :( but what voltage should I run it at...I'm probbaly adding water-cooling soon(have everything but the waterblock and pump) anyone know where I can find a description of the pin arrangment for a socket5?...or a cheap mobo for a socket 7?

my advice would be to start saving your quarters and buy a PIII or a celeron (or i as call them, celeries)

Dont know what you want to with this pc for but you will not be able to do much with that cpu.

I would not put water cooling on it unless you can get it for free.

I would just use it as is until you can save enough for something better.

Not many have had success with the P133, but I wouldn't go much farther than 10% above it's rated voltage, and I would suspect that the most you could get out of that chip is maybe 166mhz, which is of little gain in terms of performance, unless it is based on the 33mhz bus...if so, you might get real gains by setting your board to 66mhz, and your multiplier to 2.5=166 (roughly) or if it can't handle that much, you could set it for 50mhz x3 =150mhz.
it has been so long since I setup my p133, I forgot what the defaults were/are..and I no longer have the venerable old box that had the 133. It's now a handmedown.
I agree with the others that it might be a waste of time, unless you just want bragging rights of having overclocked a chip that most had a hard time with..and watercooling would be a waste of money. Just use a normal modern cpu heatsink. The old ones were adequate for the job, but for overclocking a chip like that, any good socket 7 cooler will do.
A p133 would make a good linux based file server, but will be left in the dust for todays desktop computing, and I would not try to run win98 on it, or even 95 without lots of ram.
I dunno where to look for a socket 7 board, but I'm sure they are still out there..try Pricewatch.com or other search sites and you might find what you are looking for.
Good luck

I have an old NT machine I use as a webserver. I recently upgraded (Yikes!!) to a P133... it runs a bit faster, but the main problem is IT'S 5 YEARS OLD.

You may be able to squeeze a few mhz but it really won't make a rabbit out of a slug.

I pray this isn't your primary machine, I just leave NT up and running and it uses 28 of the 32MB free to stay afloat/running, I'd hate to actually try and run something!!

actually it is :( my primary system...and I have all the watercooling parts...got em for free :)...I know someone who is running a pentium at 6 volts...it's quite stable, but until i get more money to buy a dual amd system im gonna try to squeezze the life outa this one

Hey Man
You can most likely easly get that baby up to 400mhz,(your system not the chip) thats what I did with my old Packard bell, check out my review of powerleap adapters Here.

And check out the avaiable adapters for your system Here.

I sugest getting the adapter itself, that will give you voltage control, multiplyer control, and the ability to upgrade to a 400mhz chip of your choice.

Personaly I got the adapter and picked up a cheap amd k6-2 500mhz chip, set her at 6x66fsb and added some more ram, runs windows 98 like a champ, and even games like nothing, with my voodoo 3/3k.

E-mail me at [email protected] if you want to hear more, I'm not saying it'll work for sure, but I'm willing to bet that it will.

I have nothing but good things to say about powerleap.com, then agian its always best to look into something yourself.

I wish you the best of luck, and I wouldnt be supprised if you got your system to 400mhz or more.. as long as you can get up to a 66mhz fsb and support an amd chip, you can almost certianly hit that mark.

Good luck.

-Trek

Back