• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking a p3 800 w/133 bus??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mEKbOY

Hi. I have a p3 800 with a 133mhz bus on a MSI motherboard, with 256mb 133 ram. I want to overclock for the first time. After doing some research i have found a few things: Intel cpus are locked so i must change by FSB on my Motherboard. I think i can only get my cpu running to 960mhz becuase my multipyler is only 6 and i can go upto 160 FSB. I have exelent cooling and need to know if my calculations are correct and if anyone can give me tips or reccomendations. If this is correct then i think i have the worst system for Oveclocking due to my 133 fsb...Should i have gotten the 800 with the 100 fsb?

Well in some aspects a CPU that runs on a 100 mhz FSB is easier to overclock as we know that RAM and most components are stable on a 133 mhz FSB, so in most cases you can increase the FSB from 100 mhz to 133 mhz without a lot of problems.. however when starting with a 133 FSB there are more limiting factors, as PC-133 was the last offical SDRAM standard (PC-150 etc is not offical and is just PC-133 tested to run at 150mhz).. some RAM and components dont like an exceptionally fast FSB so quality matters more so.. All you can do is make sure you have good cooling and try things
Welcome to the Forum --- Good luck

You're right about the 100 FSB P-III chips being easier to overclock. The 133 FSB chips need lots more mods and tweaking. High FSB can cause motherboard instability due to heat in the chipset. Since 160 FSB is very tough to reach because it runs your PCI bus and RAM way out of spec, plus you need lots of extra cooling, 150 FSB is a more reasonable expectation toi shoot for, at first anyway. This will give you 900 MHz, not too bad for this CPU. But, to do this, you need better CPU, case, and northbridge chip cooling. Oh yeah, did I mention cooling?

on the other hand, if you can do it, you will ge great memory scores..because of the extra bandwidth.
Like the man said, you never know till you try...just don't expect too much at first, most successfull overclocks are done in increments..and as you might have guessed, overclocking is more of an art than a sience...and sometimes intuition can get you far.
What works for some might not work for others.
You have an advantage though as you have been reading about the basics, which will give you an idea of what to try and what not to try.
Welcome to the forum :)

Back